Ack! First (Solo) Gig of the Year :(

Started by snyprrr, June 05, 2017, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

e

:'( :'( :'(

I again just accidentally erased my whole long story, and that "e" is all that remains!

Karl Henning

But it is such an expressive "e"!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on June 06, 2017, 01:44:17 AM
Back with a vengeance!

I don't get it, I never left- I was just next door watching the peep shows and time got away...

ok- if I have the will, here's the song list from the gig:

CALIFORNIA SUN
SURF CITY-SURFIN USA
WOOLY BULLY
I'M A BELIEVER
UNDER THE BOARDWALK
munsters-addams family
BELIEVE (CHER-ELVIS-POISON version0
SORRY (Beiber- for the young poe[ple... we play it kind Nirvana-ish...

BURNIN LOVE

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
FIRE (hendrix)

It was just one set at the beach fest on the river- beautiful day.

I, the worst of all, had not properly and professionally stretched out the new strings, and so, when I hit the G chord on the Beibs, ack- THAT sound... thankfully I wasn't too concerned, made it a teachable moment (lol), tried my best floating bridge tune with new strings, and just told the audience, "OK, we may have a slightly out of tune guitar her"... they didn't care- whew!!

They loved the show. I SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED WATCHTOWER MORE!!!!!

SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED JUST A LITTLE MORE- we play a note-for-note Watchtower, and my fingers were slipping and sliding all over the place- thankfully we made it through - but, whew, I tell ya, just the fear of producing a clunker lead is enough for me... prolly won't make me practice more, ahhhh.....

ph- and the JEFFERSONS THEME... aaaalways the highlight of every show, ALWAYS. EVERY SHOW.

wE should have worked up our WALRUS, seeing as it is its 50 year anniversary...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on June 06, 2017, 11:07:50 AM

CALIFORNIA SUN
SURF CITY-SURFIN USA
WOOLY BULLY
I'M A BELIEVER
UNDER THE BOARDWALK
munsters-addams family
BELIEVE (CHER-ELVIS-POISON version0
SORRY (Beiber- for the young poe[ple... we play it kind Nirvana-ish...

BURNIN LOVE

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
FIRE (hendrix)

Great set...well, except for the Bieber abortion.

Quote from: snyprrr on June 06, 2017, 11:07:50 AM
wE should have worked up our WALRUS, seeing as it is its 50 year anniversary...

Do you play it Beatles' style or like Spooky Tooth?  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 06, 2017, 11:24:40 AM
Great set...well, except for the Bieber abortion.

Do you play it Beatles' style or like Spooky Tooth?  8)

Sarge

more like the Zappa (or Crack the Sky), which is an OCD from the original... when it comes to things like Walrus and Watchtower, I try to get all the main licks down...

like, in Walrus, I start with a trem-univibe "organ" type leslie swirl , with a crunchy rhythm sound... for every Indian raga string bit I turn on the octave fuzz... and I try to do some glass slides during the chorus... with some echo... at the end, all three performers start reciting Beatles snippets...

Technically, my guitar part is arranged by me, and I "try" to tell the drummer how to play to my wishes (since he's the only one who can really be 'orchestral') ... it doesn't do any good to tell the bassist- he's always been an Entwistle do-what-you-want-lead-bass-all-the-time.

btw- the Bieber thing is just G-Bminor-A-A the whole song- I actually wrote a song with those chords once, and I'm sure I just can't think of at least three songs with the same progression... but, if you didn't know it was Bieber, you'd swear we were playing Gin Blossoms.

...and you gotta attract the chickees with stuff like this...

I have given up on women over 50. I had thought they'd be "cool and laid back" and all that stereotype, but NOOOOO, here's the scoop. If you're a woman over 50 and you're still turning head, well the, this woman will actually begin to swallow the whole "you go girl" pill and pass over men her own age to date her grandson.

This chick is almost 60, looks like an actress, body by softball, just yumyum ass, rock solid thin sporty... and I've been workin on her, and she rejected me (and everyone) and just wants to be "buds", and the other night she sees this 25 year old hunky model boy and starts making a little scene in our group, .... and frankly I was disgusted and pissed...

yea, you better believe it's ok if I do it,... but, naw girl, it just doesn't work the other way around

anyhow, I'm still kicking the wall over the last few, all milfy milfers, but now I'm shooting for barely legal an' up... whatever floats... it's 2017, your 1973 feminism won't work here baby doll... Imma gon start grabbin me some

I think God knows I'm desperate to get a pic of me an some honey on here to prove I'm not the stereotypical "involuntary celibate"- incel- lolol- but, I've been here about 9 years- gulp-

ohh... what Thread is this again?!!??

focus---focus boy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

First solo gig of the year (really???) coming up tomorrow, Friday. And it came up quick.

I totally fudged my bulk mailer and now I'm just hoping that I didn't accidentally sent dikpiks or something equally ridiculous (I AM just kidding about the dikpiks, lol... OR???)

3 hours = 40-45 Songs

Yea, that's no real problem, but I'm having unmitigated anxiety... it's a flippin HAPPY HOUR GIG and I can only hope the "right" people show up...

Ohhhh, I'm wallowing in my pain right now....  :'( :'( :'(...

Getting gigs = almost impossible right now...

I SAW THIS PAEDO LOOKIN GUY (looking just like Raffi) PLAYING "HOME ON THE RANGE" FOR TODDLERS AT CHIK-FIL-A and I was like, Noooooo, no, please, ... is that really the end of the line there???

distraught

over 

music

in

general

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

zamyrabyrd

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Karl Henning

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on August 10, 2017, 11:23:45 AM
Not literally, of course...
Certainly not!  8)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2017, 09:25:27 AM
Do "Freebird"!

Break a leg!

I DID do my bluegrass version of 'War Pigs' (sounding like 'Man of Constant Sorrow')!! :laugh:

And Hamilton, Joe Frank, & Reynolds made a guest appearance :-*

I played for 3 1/2 hours STRAIGHT, no break... no discernible voice ragging AT ALL. very surprising, but, I DID do things the right way, and did lots of hot-honey-and-lemon, ate a good meal, push ups,...

Had you wanted to hear, 'Sky High', 'Baby Come Back', 'Hot Child in the City', or ANY of those hits, the Divey Dive was the place to be! ;)

I played BOTH 'Wildfire' AND 'Wildflower'...

Yes, yes, I did :laugh: :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on August 12, 2017, 09:12:17 AM
I played for 3 1/2 hours STRAIGHT, no break... no discernible voice ragging AT ALL. very surprising, but, I DID do things the right way, and did lots of hot-honey-and-lemon, ate a good meal, push ups,...

Quite an achievement!  I applaud thee.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA