Andrzej Panufnik (1914-1991)

Started by Maciek, April 18, 2007, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: lescamil on April 27, 2017, 08:30:16 PM
I am quite a large fan of Panufnik's final symphonies. I love that his sense of form and harmony was structed around his famous 3 note cell and his geometric shapes. You can ignore all that and it still makes perfect sense. Sad to see so many haters of his late work but it appeals to me.

But, when you speak of "three note cells" and geometry (Panufnik an obvious FM?), the first thing I think of is Robert Simpson, who, I think, does this kind of thing with... mm... "better" results??

lol- hey, I'll still keep tryin- at least Panuknik has a lot of murk that needs to be brought to light and examined- it's just that evey time I do, I'm always left with "meh" :(

But, I'll try the later stuff some more, after all 10 Symphonies and they all have a different MO... maybe I'll take the Votiva with me today...

lescamil

Quote from: snyprrr on April 28, 2017, 06:33:25 AM
But, when you speak of "three note cells" and geometry (Panufnik an obvious FM?), the first thing I think of is Robert Simpson, who, I think, does this kind of thing with... mm... "better" results??

Robert Simpson did this? I've heard some of his music and it must be done quite differently because I just don't hear it. Simpson's music for the most part hasn't done much for me, though. Maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff yet.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

millionrainbows

I like Panufnik's use of geometric ideas. This idea of geometry comes from the chromatic scale, and using its symmetry (12 notes) as the starting point, rather than a scale or harmonic device. The music composed in such a way is necessarily going to sound chromatic, rather than diatonic. That makes perfect sense to me.

Symphonic Addict

I'm enjoying this self-recommending set which has plenty of sensational compositions. Katyn Epytaph, a short work of orchestra is playing here right now. Intensely moving.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 05, 2022, 06:57:16 PM

I'm enjoying this self-recommending set which has plenty of sensational compositions. Katyn Epytaph, a short work of orchestra is playing here right now. Intensely moving.

I agree. Not all Panufnik registers strongly with me. Some of his later symphonies just aren't that interesting. I would say my favorite work of his is Autumn Music --- an emotional piece for me, especially for its inspiration.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2022, 07:09:28 PM
I agree. Not all Panufnik registers strongly with me. Some of his later symphonies just aren't that interesting. I would say my favorite work of his is Autumn Music --- an emotional piece for me, especially for its inspiration.
I agree. The 'Rustica' and 'Sacra' symphonies are my favourites. I must listen out for the Autumn Music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 27, 2017, 10:37:23 AM
thing with panufnik is, I can always go from one unsatisfying experience with him, to another, and another... I feel like it's half way between two unsatisfying poles, taking this and that and this (MI's "gimmicks"?)...

All I've ever kept of his is the 'Votiva', mostly because it's with that Sessions, on Hyperion,... and I went about trying to find more that was like that, until, probably documented in this Thread, I realized 'Votiva' might be the best it got for me :(

Now listening to Symphony 3... Solti... is this the 'Sacra' that was on Nonesuch? (another highly touted album that just poured off of me like milk)... yea, I remember this opening fanfare, brutal allegro, religious ending...bing bam boom... 1 2 3... A B C...

is Panufnik too "easy" for us meat eaters? There's definitely something ALWAYS missing... it's like he should be Penderecki, or Dutilleux, or Lutoslawski, or someone, something like that, but... The Grande Meh...

too soft... too noisy... too complex... too pat...

yukk... do not want...

broccoli

Was reading back through this thread and came across this post which made me chuckle! :D I do miss snyprrr's entertaining posts, though I do recall hearing that he had some rather controversial things to say in other parts of the forum. :-X
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2022, 11:00:37 PM
I agree. The 'Rustica' and 'Sacra' symphonies are my favourites. I must listen out for the Autumn Music.

I really need to do a whole traversal of the Panufnik CPO series. So much music, so little time.

Symphonic Addict

Worth the revisit indeed. I've been delighted and enthralled by the orchestral works apart from symphonies and concertos. There is something transcendent in his music, it's thought-provoking and haunting.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on March 08, 2022, 11:28:54 AM
Was reading back through this thread and came across this post which made me chuckle! :D I do miss snyprrr's entertaining posts, though I do recall hearing that he had some rather controversial things to say in other parts of the forum. :-X
To some extent I can relate to snyprrr's views on Panufnik. I like the Sacra, Rustica and the Katyn Epitaph but much of the rest of his music doesn't appeal to me.

+1

I purchase a very inexpensive CD version of this yesterday:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 08, 2022, 05:18:10 PM
Worth the revisit indeed. I've been delighted and enthralled by the orchestral works apart from symphonies and concertos. There is something transcendent in his music, it's thought-provoking and haunting.

What would you say are the standout works in his orchestral oeuvre, Cesar? So far I've only heard the Sacra and Rustica symphonies which I've enjoyed, but I'm a bit intimidated by his later works, which I've read are compositionally based on geometric shapes, palindromes, and other mathematical principles (which is rather off-putting to me).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on March 09, 2022, 09:26:45 AM
What would you say are the standout works in his orchestral oeuvre, Cesar? So far I've only heard the Sacra and Rustica symphonies which I've enjoyed, but I'm a bit intimidated by his later works, which I've read are compositionally based on geometric shapes, palindromes, and other mathematical principles (which is rather off-putting to me).

Have you heard the Bassoon Concerto, Kyle? This is another work I'd rank highly along with Autumn Music.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2022, 09:48:09 AM
Have you heard the Bassoon Concerto, Kyle? This is another work I'd rank highly along with Autumn Music.

I'll check out both of those works, thanks! Anyone know his Cello Concerto written for and recorded by Rostropovich?

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on March 09, 2022, 01:04:37 PM
I'll check out both of those works, thanks! Anyone know his Cello Concerto written for and recorded by Rostropovich?

I know it, but to be honest, I have yet to wrap my mind around it. I do recall enjoying the Piano Concerto. Oh and for the Bassoon Concerto, be sure to listen to the CPO recording as it's the best one of the three I own, IMHO.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on March 09, 2022, 09:26:45 AM

It seems like I'm listening to one of those works. His Rhapsody for orchestra (is playing now) sounds meandering and mysterious, without a direction...

... but it gets more in motion and becomes more poignant and expressive. An intriguing piece.

Noam Chomsky