Muzio Clementi (1752-1832)

Started by schnittkease, July 01, 2017, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

Muzio Clementi (1752-1832)

"Clementi's chief claims to fame are his long series of piano sonatas, many of which have been revived, and his celebrated studies for piano, the Gradus ad Parnassum (1817; "Steps Toward Parnassus"). His own contributions to the development of piano technique coincided with the period of the new instrument's first popularity and did much to establish the lines on which piano playing was to develop; important traces of his influence may be found in the piano works of Haydn, Beethoven, and even Mozart, as well as the next generation of pianist-composers."

Gurn Blanston

A personal favorite of mine, BTW. You're right, it does seem strange.

Clementi was a great friend of Haydn during the latter's London visits. In 1793 when Haydn was unable to return from Vienna for the Season, Clementi sat in for him, leading from the pianoforte. He was also the top piano teacher in London at the time and his students, such as John Field, JB Cramer and Therese Jansen were considered the top players on the London scene if you couldn't get the master himself. Haydn certainly thought so, and later on, so did Beethoven. JB Cramer is the only pianist Beethoven ever said anything good about. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

André

I have a question regarding the Mastroprimiano set of 18 discs on Brilliant: how are they packaged ? Individual jewel cases or space-saving envelopes ?

I already 2 volumes of that collection, plus the Arts set by Pietro Spada, which (also at 18 discs) takes a lot of space, and that's not counting individual discs from other artists. I'd consider buying Mastroprimiano's set if it doesn't eat up too much shelf-space... ::).

Back to the composer: he's possibly (with Reger and Delius) my most significant discovery in the last 10 years. Every little scrap off his workbench is illuminating (wrote excellent symphonies, too!).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on January 13, 2018, 01:55:10 PM
I have a question regarding the Mastroprimiano set of 18 discs on Brilliant: how are they packaged ? Individual jewel cases or space-saving envelopes ?

I already 2 volumes of that collection, plus the Arts set by Pietro Spada, which (also at 18 discs) takes a lot of space, and that's not counting individual discs from other artists. I'd consider buying Mastroprimiano's set if it doesn't eat up too much shelf-space... ::).

Back to the composer: he's possibly (with Reger and Delius) my most significant discovery in the last 10 years. Every little scrap off his workbench is illuminating (wrote excellent symphonies, too!).

Wish I could inform you there, but I have the 6 boxes of 3 disks each. Even those are different, some are digipaks, others are 3-disk chubby jewel boxes. I agree, the ideal is a single box with 18 envelopes in it... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: André on January 13, 2018, 01:55:10 PM

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2018, 02:02:27 PM
Wish I could inform you there, but I have the 6 boxes of 3 disks each. Even those are different, some are digipaks, others are 3-disk chubby jewel boxes. I agree, the ideal is a single box with 18 envelopes in it... :-\

8)

It's a single box with envelopes.
When I saw a bargain, I swapped from the 6 volumes to the box set.
It felt a bit odd to buy the same recordings twice just to save space, but at the modest price I haven't regretted it.

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2018, 03:04:39 PM
It's a single box with envelopes.
When I saw a bargain, I swapped from the 6 volumes to the box set.
It felt a bit odd to buy the same recordings twice just to save space, but at the modest price I haven't regretted it.

Q

I would probably do the same, especially since the 6 volumes aren't consistent among themselves. It is like my Arcana Festetics Haydn quartets, a mix of digipaks and chubettes. Made me want to buy the box set when it came out just to clear up my shelf a bit. :)

8)

André

Gee, thanks for the feedback, guys ! In my cart it goes !!  ;)