Author Topic: Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)  (Read 2845 times)

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
Yesterday I had the huge pleasure to find an ultra-wonderful piece of his: Concert à cinq for flute, string trio and harp. The level of beauty of this work is ineffable, this is such a gem! If you like Ravel's Introduction et Allegro or Cras' Quintette, then this is for you and don't miss it! This French combination of instruments is simply quite effective, much more subtle and intimate. Jongen displays his mastery to make the instruments speak in a very poetic and evocative way. I'm not afraid to say that this is one of the greatest works in the genre. LOVELY and ENCHANTING stuff!!

This is the CD where I found it:

I discovered the Concert à cinq recently and am in complete agreement with you, Cesar. What utterly wondrous, enchanting, spellbinding music indeed! I’d say it’s worthy to stand alongside the greatest “impressionist” chamber works. Some of Jongen’s works can sound a bit like watered down Debussy or Ravel, but certainly not this one! And it receives a superb performance in the above recording, to boot.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
I discovered the Concert à cinq recently and am in complete agreement with you, Cesar. What utterly wondrous, enchanting, spellbinding music indeed! I’d say it’s worthy to stand alongside the greatest “impressionist” chamber works. Some of Jongen’s works can sound a bit like watered down Debussy or Ravel, but certainly not this one! And it receives a superb performance in the above recording, to boot.

Glad to read your impressions! A fantastic piece without a doubt.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
I am sorry to be late to the party but today for the first time I listened to Jongen's Symphonie Concertante (Eduardo Mata/DSO) and absolutely loved it.  Very French too.  It sort of made me wonder what if Ravel had written an Organ Concerto.  Fantastic and very accessible work.