Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)

Started by schnittkease, July 09, 2017, 03:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Love these fabulous discs.
The review for the cello concerto disc is below.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/apr03/jongen1.htm

Symphonic Addict

Jongen's concertante works are a sort of hit-and-miss. The Symphonie Concertante, Harp Concerto, Concert à cinq and Concerto for wind quintet contain truly gorgeous music, but the others don't have enough memorable material in comparison IMO.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 28, 2021, 08:13:59 PM
Jongen's concertante works are a sort of hit-and-miss. The Symphonie Concertante, Harp Concerto, Concert à cinq and Concerto for wind quintet contain truly gorgeous music, but the others don't have enough memorable material in comparison IMO.

Fair. Btw, I like his 3 symphonic movements in this disc. A. Samuel's music is mediocre.

P.s. did you get the chance to check the Krejci/Ancerl disc? Just curious about others' opinion.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 29, 2021, 12:05:44 PM
Fair. Btw, I like his 3 symphonic movements in this disc. A. Samuel's music is mediocre.

P.s. did you get the chance to check the Krejci/Ancerl disc? Just curious about others' opinion.

I agree, that Samuel symphony is a complete waste of time.

No, I haven't got that disc yet. I'll keep it in mind.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying the piano works. Likable disc.