Brahms's violin sonatas

Started by betterthanfine, August 16, 2017, 02:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betterthanfine

What's everyone's favourite set? I've been listening to several (Perlman/Ashkenazy, Mutter/Orkis, the Khatchatryan siblings), but haven't found one yet that completely satisfies me. I quite liked Ferras/Barbizet, and Kavakos/Wang is on the listening pile.

Which ones do I desperately need to hear? :)

Spineur

Quote from: betterthanfine on August 16, 2017, 02:21:16 PM
....I quite liked Ferras/Barbizet, and Kavakos/Wang is on the listening pile.
So do I !  Kavakos got several prizes for this set.  Ferras/Barbizet are also very convincing.  Enjoy !

Todd

Quote from: betterthanfine on August 16, 2017, 02:21:16 PMWhich ones do I desperately need to hear?

Desperately, no.  Ferras/Barbizet is superb.  Francescatti/Casadesus is another superb older recording, and Mullova/Anderszewski is excellent for a more modern take (about twenty years old).  Cerovsek/Jumppanen is a very fine contemporary version.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Isabelle Faust & Alexander Melnikov
Pamela Frank & Peter Serkin
Gioconda de Vito & Edwin Fischer/Tito Apnea

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: amw on August 16, 2017, 03:22:42 PM
Gioconda de Vito & Edwin Fischer/Tito Apnea

You have not lived until you have heard these. She recorded 1 and 3 with Fischer and 2 with Aprea (not Apnea  8) ) . I have the original Angel LPs from the 50s. They were reissued on Testament CD many years ago but did not remain in print very long. Currently, I believe that the ones with Fischer are included on the scandalously cheap Edwin Fischer boxed set.

https://www.amazon.com/Noble-Romanticist-Edwin-Fischer/dp/B004BGJVJU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1502957135&sr=8-14&keywords=edwin+fischer
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

amw

Also if you're looking for a recent (i.e. this century) version on modern instruments (i.e. not Faust/Melnikov, who are HIP) the finest available choice in my opinion is Dumay/Lortie, with Tetzlaff/Vogt as a more idiosyncratic alternative.

Older recordings have a definite advantage in this repertoire though. (Not yet mentioned but also indispensable: Grumiaux/Sebök, Suk/Katchen, Suk/Panenka, Busch/Serkin.)

There are standout recordings of every individual sonata as well. For example, I have heard no violinists other than Gioconda de Vito and Pamela Frank who are completely equal to the adagio of the 3rd sonata, and Isabelle Faust's performance of the 1st movement of the 1st sonata—probably the most beautiful composition by Brahms—has absolutely perfect phrasing that extends from the smallest details to the whole structural arc.

betterthanfine

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I'm listening to Kavakos and Wang while I'm typing this. They're both very fine musicians, and everything sounds gorgeous, but I find there's a little bit of fire lacking... But I'll be coming back to this one, I think.

Quote from: amw on August 17, 2017, 12:18:12 AM
Also if you're looking for a recent (i.e. this century) version on modern instruments (i.e. not Faust/Melnikov, who are HIP) the finest available choice in my opinion is Dumay/Lortie, with Tetzlaff/Vogt as a more idiosyncratic alternative.

Indeed, I'm mostly in the market for a modern performance, although I'll listen to anything. Amw, how does Dumay/Lortie compare to Dumay's earlier outing with Pires? I've sampled the latter on Spotify, and his playing is usually a little too 'pretty' for my taste. But then again, Dumay and Pires are unbeatable for me in the Grieg sonatas.

I'm quite interested in HIP performances, but to be honest, I cannot stand Faust's tone. Her vibrato always sounds slightly shaky to me, as if she's not giving her bow enough weight. Her interpretations are always very interesting, but something just puts me off. My loss, I suppose.

king ubu

Another de Vito/Fischer fan checking in here ... just in case, there's a de Vito box by Membran/Documents as well, and it seems to include all three violin sonatas:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/tbc-original-albums/hnum/7390705

Luckily I paid quite some to get the South Korean set of EMI records a while ago ... I'm sucker for historical violin recordings, I guess. The Korean sets by Christian Ferras and Johanna Martzy are making a reappearance globally now, so maybe there's hope for de Vito and the wonderful Erica Morini ... and as I'm drifting off topic already, for Brahms' VC, don't ignore Ginette Neveu!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: king ubu on August 17, 2017, 03:45:30 AM
Another de Vito/Fischer fan checking in here ... just in case, there's a de Vito box by Membran/Documents as well, and it seems to include all three violin sonatas:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/tbc-original-albums/hnum/7390705

Wow!!! That's incredible!! I didn't know about that one and will have to get it. Thanks!

I still want the original LPs of the Brahms dbl concerto and Franck sonata ($$$$)! (Her Mozart and Bach are not my favorites)

Sorry OT: But while on the site you linked to, I also found this!! https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/milestones-of-a-legend/hnum/5739866

Anyone have it??
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff