Julia Wolfe (1958-)

Started by schnittkease, August 04, 2017, 07:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

"Julia Wolfe, a 2016 MacArthur Fellow and winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize in music, draws inspiration from folk, classical, and rock genres, bringing a modern sensibility to each while simultaneously tearing down the walls between them."

Steel Hammer and Anthracite Fields have become 21st-century staples, so I was very surprised to find that she had no thread.
Let the discussion commence!

Scion7

tried out four of her works on YouTube - sorry, don't hear anything at all in her stuff of worth
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

schnittkease

So I heard Anthracite Fields again today and still think it's a great work. I'm wondering if anyone else has thoughts on this specific composition.

Mirror Image

I've heard a few of her pieces...yeah, not too impressed. The same goes for that whole 'Bang On A Can' crowd.