Sergei Lyapunov and the groupe des cinq

Started by Spineur, August 31, 2017, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

Lyapunov was born in 1859 and died in exile in Paris in 1924.  He was a renown pianist and studied the composition with Sergei Taneyev.  He is best known for his 12 études transcendentales dedicated to Franz Liszt.  He is associated to Balakirev  who helped him early on in his carrier.  Through Balakirev, Lyapunov is associated to the group of five.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Lyapunov

I do not know a whole lot about his compositions but found these discs of his piano music pretty cool

[asin]B00CDCP9HW[/asin]

[asin]B01FV8HA76[/asin]

His music is reminiscent of Nicolai Medtner, without the extreme romantism.

His brother, Alexandr Lyapunov is a very renown mathematician.

mc ukrneal

I very much enjoy Lyapunov. His top work is often listed as Etudes d'exécution transcendante. I have Scherbakov, who is excellent here. I can recommend all the discs that I have of him. They are:
[asin]B00006L3WB[/asin]
[asin]B009RXGC2G[/asin]
[asin]B0000640BH[/asin]
[asin]B0000045ZK[/asin]
[asin]B0039UG86S[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

I like both of his symphonies and his Piano Concerto No.2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

The Russian exoticism never fails me, and Lyapunov demonstrated it once more with his tone poem Hashish, op. 53. Talking about this work won't be anythyng new, but I found it mesmerizing. Admirers of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade will be pleased with this marvelous composition. Sumptuous, permeated with an unmistakable Arabian influence, really quite inspired. Lyapunov tried some drug when composing it (something similar happened with Berlioz about the Symphonie Fantastique). The result couldn't be better: a true tone poem of its own class.

https://www.youtube.com/v/wJbzIATP6HI

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 25, 2017, 08:18:14 PM

The Russian exoticism never fails me, and Lyapunov demonstrated it once more with his tone poem Hashish, op. 53. Talking about this work won't be anythyng new, but I found it mesmerizing. Admirers of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade will be pleased with this marvelous composition. Sumptuous, permeated with an unmistakable Arabian influence, really quite inspired. Lyapunov tried some drug when composing it (something similar happened with Berlioz about the Symphonie Fantastique). The result couldn't be better: a true tone poem of its own class.

https://www.youtube.com/v/wJbzIATP6HI
Both fine works - atmospheric and magical.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

The most interesting work I've heard by this composer is the Sextet for piano in B-flat minor (I love that key, btw) which I just heard from the recording I posted. Actually, I think it's a masterpiece of the Russian chamber music literature, on a par with works like Arensky's Piano Trio No. 1. In spite of the flawed recording, the performance sounds quite fine to me. An inspired composition where each movement is strong.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 13, 2023, 06:52:04 PMThe most interesting work I've heard by this composer is the Sextet for piano in B-flat minor (I love that key, btw) which I just heard from the recording I posted. Actually, I think it's a masterpiece of the Russian chamber music literature, on a par with works like Arensky's Piano Trio No. 1. In spite of the flawed recording, the performance sounds quite fine to me. An inspired composition where each movement is strong.

Yes, I agree, it's a marvelous work and definitely the strongest by Lyapunov that I've heard (though his epic 2nd Symphony, also in B-flat minor, is quite fine too despite some longueurs). The slow movement of the Sextet is particularly ravishing!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2023, 09:19:03 PMYes, I agree, it's a marvelous work and definitely the strongest by Lyapunov that I've heard (though his epic 2nd Symphony, also in B-flat minor, is quite fine too despite some longueurs). The slow movement of the Sextet is particularly ravishing!

Good to see you also know his imposing Symphony No. 2, a much better effort than his first one (it's got a so lyrical and beautiful slow movement, though).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

springrite

Several of my musical friends rave about his Piano Quintet, which I heard only once (at one of those gatherings). I have not found a recording of it though.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Lyapunov didn't write any piano quintets, his only chamber composition is the Piano Sextet.

Noam Chomsky