Ravel: String quartet

Started by Omicron9, September 02, 2017, 09:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Greetings.

I listened to an old favorite a few times yesterday: Ravel's string quartet.  There was always something about the early section of the 1st movement that stuck out in my mind, but until yesterday I was unable to grasp/define/identify it.  I think I was able to finally verbalize it yesterday: the opening of the first movement sounds (again, just me here) like a 2nd movement.  This is of course neither good nor bad, and it has no bearing on my love for this piece.

Just curious though: has anyone else gotten this sense? 

Addendum: Part of me finds it sad that he only composed one quartet; the other part of me is grateful that he did compose this quartet.

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

some guy

Well, I've sensed things, but until you mentioned it....

But yeah. Now you have mentioned it. And you're right. It sounds like a second movement.

I'm not sure what that means or even if we're right.

But I'm going with you on this one.

Uhor

....Russian influences (Borodin?)
Who invented first movements anyway...

yekov

One of my all time favorites, the whole work is a masterpiece but frankly the first movement is out of this world

Omicron9

Quote from: yekov on October 13, 2017, 02:10:46 PM
One of my all time favorites, the whole work is a masterpiece but frankly the first movement is out of this world

Agreed.  I was just trying to verbalize how I was hearing the 1st movement; no value judgment applies.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"