William Lawes' Lawn (1602-1645)

Started by Rinaldo, September 24, 2017, 09:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

It's autumn. It's Lawes time!

Quote from: WikipediaHe is most remembered today for his sublime viol consort suites for between three and six players and his lyra viol music. His use of counterpoint and fugue and his tendency to juxtapose bizarre, spine-tingling themes next to pastoral ones in these works made them disfavoured in the centuries after his death; they have only become widely available in recent years.

Let's start this thread with a lovely performance I've just stumbled across: Phantasm plays Consort Sett IV a5 in F

https://www.youtube.com/v/OLnpFvG7X0M

That unexpected sidestep (for lack of a better word) that happens around the 5:30 mark is exactly what I adore about Lawes. Always enchanting, never boring.

Mandryka

Those Phantasm recordings sound good, you may not get that off YouTube, but there's a certain pleasure in just the sonic quality. Linn recordings.

Have you tried some of the music for one or two viols?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2017, 09:28:44 AMHave you tried some of the music for one or two viols?

Not yet, but as a big fan of the viol, I'm eyeing this release from last year:

[asin]B01DPUIV6Q[/asin]
I own Phantasm's Consort in 6 parts and Concordia's Dialogues, Psalms & Elegies. Another record that's on my wishlist is this one, although I'll probably have to opt for the FLAC download.

Mandryka

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 24, 2017, 03:26:07 PM

[asin]B01DPUIV6Q[/asin]

That one seemed a bit too sober and buttoned-up for my tastes, I probably should revisit it.
O
Quote from: Rinaldo on September 24, 2017, 03:26:07 PM

Concordia's Dialogues, Psalms & Elegies.

I don't know that one by Concordia, I have one by Mark Levy called Knock'd on the Head - I like it very much, more than the recordings by Phantasm in fact. . 

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2017, 12:51:17 AMThat one seemed a bit too sober and buttoned-up for my tastes, I probably should revisit it.

Any other recommendations for the solo viols?

QuoteI don't know that one by Concordia, I have one by Mark Levy called Knock'd on the Head - I like it very much, more than the recordings by Phantasm in fact. .

My bad! I got ensembles mixed up. I meant Rooley:

[asin]B000EQHVAM[/asin]
I've got the Levy as a download and it's splendid, yes.

Mandryka

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 25, 2017, 03:21:23 AM
Any other recommendations for the solo viols?

Jonathan Dunford I think is about the best you can do at the moment, and he hasn't recorded much,  I was really disappointed by that Hyperion release because of what I'd heard on Dunford's Lawes Cd, but, you know, it may be just me, I think Jens wrote a positive review of it somewhere.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2017, 04:00:01 AMJonathan Dunford I think is about the best you can do at the moment, and he hasn't recorded much,  I was really disappointed by that Hyperion release because of what I'd heard on Dunford's Lawes Cd, but, you know, it may be just me, I think Jens wrote a positive review of it somewhere.

Thanks for the tip, looks like it's OOP but I'll keep hunting.

Here's another video to soothe me in the meantime: Fretwork performing Consort Sett in G minor

https://www.youtube.com/v/4HS0ytwrn3w

vers la flamme

I watched a film last night called Only Lovers Left Alive, in which a vampire names one of his guitars William Lawes after the composer. Not having heard a note of his music, this piqued my interest. Where ought one start with William Lawes?

Biffo

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 01, 2021, 03:13:24 PM
I watched a film last night called Only Lovers Left Alive, in which a vampire names one of his guitars William Lawes after the composer. Not having heard a note of his music, this piqued my interest. Where ought one start with William Lawes?

You could try his Consort Sets in 5 and 6 parts. Jordi Savall has recorded them with Hesperion XXI (AliaVox).  Savall regards them as being music of the highest quality and on a par with Beethoven's Late Quartets.