Alexander Gretchaninov (1864-1956)

Started by schnittkease, September 25, 2017, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

In with the confession: I've never heard a note of Gretchaninov's music. Where do I start? He seems to have been very prolific.

SymphonicAddict

I've listened to the 4 masses, the 5 symphonies, and the cello concerto. The symphonies are pretty good, with a 'Tchaikovskian' influence. You could start with them. The mass I recall the most is the 'Missa oecumenica'. Also, I've heard the cello sonata, but it's not so memorable.

SymphonicAddict

Those are great or at least decent performances.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 25, 2017, 09:20:20 PM

Those are great or at least decent performances.

Seconded.

For his chamber music which imho is excellent, try these:

Also recommended, his a cappella Easter sacred music.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on September 26, 2017, 12:45:47 AM
Seconded.

For his chamber music which imho is excellent, try these:

Also recommended, his a cappella Easter sacred music.

I have all those CDs (except the viola one), which I need to listen soon.

vandermolen

Am enjoying Symphony 4 (CD pictured above). It was composed in 1927 but sounds like it was composed much earlier.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

The only work I know of his is the First Symphony, which I found to be rather generic and unmemorable. Must give some of his other works a spin.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 20, 2018, 06:58:09 AM
The only work I know of his is the First Symphony, which I found to be rather generic and unmemorable. Must give some of his other works a spin.
The Chandos CD with Symphony 4 on has the Missa Festiva choral work which I enjoyed more than expected.