10 favorite lesser-known 19th century symphonies

Started by kyjo, September 29, 2017, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

There's plenty of polls here about favorite lesser-known 20th century symphonies, so I thought we needed one for the 19th century! You by no means are obligated to come up with 10. Here's my list:

Dvorak 3
Raff 5 and 9
Berwald 1 and 3
Kalinnikov 1 and 2
Balakirev 1
Glazunov 5
Andreae in F
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Jo498

Reicha
All 4 of Berwald's
Gade 1
Burgmüller 1
Rott (probably almost well known by now)
Albert Dietrich (friend of Schumann and Brahms who wrote also one movement of the f-a-e-sonata)
Chausson (known, but eclipsed by Franck's)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Sgambati 1
Voříšek
Fibich 3 (all 3 are worthwhile)
Kalliwoda 5
Goldmark 2 (to give something different from the relatively popular Rustic Wedding Symphony)
Cherubini
Lalo
Mehul (not sure which of the 4, but I recall them as very distinctive)
Suk: Symphony in E major
Mielck

I hadn't realized that Magnard's 3rd made it into the 19th Century.  But it's an old chestnut to GMG members 😉

Interesting list: https://splendidlabyrinths.blogspot.com/2013/08/best-unknown-symphonies-from-19th.html

Sergeant Rock

Schmidt Symphony No.1 E major
Lalo Symphony in G minor
Berwald Symphony No.2 D major, "Capricieuse"
Magnard Symphony No.1 C minor
Wagner Symphony C major
Mendelssohn Symphony No.1 C minor
Dvorak 1, 2, 3, 4
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kyjo

Quote from: Jo498 on September 29, 2017, 12:59:15 PM
Rott (probably almost well known by now)
Chausson (known, but eclipsed by Franck's)

I should've included these two, even if they're reasonably well-known.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 29, 2017, 01:48:51 PM
Magnard Symphony No.1 C minor
Mendelssohn Symphony No.1 C minor

These are favorites of mine as well.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: kyjo on September 29, 2017, 01:53:33 PM
These are favorites of mine as well.

After you posted I added Schmidt's First (it made the 19th century cut by just a few years).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Johan Willem Wilms 6
Anton Fodor 3 ('4')
Antonín Leopold Dvořák 1, 2, 3, 4
Zdeněk Fibich 3
Richard Hol 4
Hubert Parry 2
Bernard Zweers 3

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SymphonicAddict

I consider these ones. I didn't want to repeat any already mentioned:

Bruch 1
Rimsky-Korsakov Antar
Stanford 3
Weingartner 1
Dukas
Volkmann 2
Hamerik 4
Taneyev 2
Svendsen 2
Borodin 1

Daverz

André

Ludvig Norman, symphony no 2
Zdenek Fibich, symphony no 3
Théodore Gouvy, symphony no 6
Hubert Parry, symphony no 2
Ferdinand Ries, symphony no 5

amw

Good timing on this thread since just the other day I was like "hey I really wanna listen to Friedrich Gernsheim's Symphony No. 4 in B-flat major, Op. 62 today" and subsequently was like "ok, no one in the history of the world has ever said that sentence before."

Anyway it is actually a good symphony although for my top 10 list it's probably crowded out by Berwald's four, Voříšek's one, Svendsen's no. 1, Mendelssohn's no. 1, Bizet's no. 2 ("Roma")—no. 1 probably too well-known to qualify for this list—and both of Borodin's.

Jo498

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 29, 2017, 02:59:57 PM
I consider these ones. I didn't want to repeat any already mentioned:
Rimsky-Korsakov Antar
Borodin 1

I thought about these two as well but considered them moderately well known and therefore did not mention them because I already had two moderately well known pieces. ;)
The huge difference in popularity between the two completed Borodin symphonies does not seem justified to me (neither in the case of his string quartets) and I find "Antar" superior to the more flashy (and FAR more popular) Sheherazade.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Glazunov: Symphony 1
Glazunov: Symphony 2
Balakirev: Symphony 1
Raff: Symphony 5 'Lenore'
Stanford: Symphony 3 'Irish'
Stanford: Symphony 5
Rott: Symphony
Chauson: Symphony
Lyapunov: Symphony 1
Taneyev: Symphony 2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Jo498 on September 29, 2017, 11:36:26 PM
The huge difference in popularity between the two completed Borodin symphonies does not seem justified to me (neither in the case of his string quartets) and I find "Antar" superior to the more flashy (and FAR more popular) Sheherazade.

I wholeheartedly agree! Borodin's first symphony and first string quartet deserve to be much better known. Same with Rimsky's Antar, although I still have quite a soft spot for the overplayed Scheherazade.

kyjo

Quote from: André on September 29, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
Ludvig Norman, symphony no 2
Théodore Gouvy, symphony no 6
Ferdinand Ries, symphony no 5

Nice choices, Andre. Fibich's 3rd has some beautiful moments, especially in the slow movement. I know Gouvy's 2nd which is a delightful work. Parry's first two symphonies are both warm, melodious works but a bit lacking in drama IMO. I very much like the proto-Elgarian first movement of his 1st symphony. I don't know Ries' 5th but I know his first two symphonies which are vigorous, Beethovenian works that I like very much. The memorable funeral march slow movement of his 1st is a clear nod to the Eroica.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2017, 12:37:56 AM
Glazunov: Symphony 1
Glazunov: Symphony 2
Raff: Symphony 5 'Lenore'
Stanford: Symphony 5
Rott: Symphony
Chauson: Symphony
Taneyev: Symphony 2

Great list, Jeffrey. Nice to see another vote for Raff 5 ;D You've reminded me that I need to explore the Stanford symphonies - I only know no. 1, which I'm assuming is hardly one of his better efforts. It does have a very catchy finale, however.

kyjo

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on September 29, 2017, 12:14:27 PMBerwald 1 and 3
Kalinnikov 1 and 2
Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 29, 2017, 02:59:57 PM
Rimsky-Korsakov Antar
Stanford 3
Svendsen 2
Quote from: André on September 29, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
Agreed, but had them already
Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2017, 12:37:56 AM
Another great ten :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948