16th & 17th Century Consort Musik - your favorites?

Started by James, May 21, 2010, 09:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntsman

As a chap very new to classical music I would like to know the difference between consort and chamber music.

Anyone?
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

petrarch

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 17, 2013, 06:41:39 AM
One of my favorite pieces of music, and possibly favorite composer of this era, is Dowland's Lachrimae.

Indeed. One rendition I am very partial to is Thomas Morley's Lachrimae Pavane for keyboard, after Dowland's famous work.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: huntsman on March 17, 2013, 06:55:23 AM
As a chap very new to classical music I would like to know the difference between consort and chamber music.

Anyone?

Not sure how accurate this is, but..."consort" was primarily used in England referring to a small set up of instruments. It predates the term "chamber", but they are very similar in meaning.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: petrarch on March 17, 2013, 07:03:36 AM
Indeed. One rendition I am very partial to is Thomas Morley's Lachrimae Pavane for keyboard, after Dowland's famous work.

Hey, petrarch  :)

Not sure if I'm familiar with Morley's, I do however have this disc with Patrick Ayrton performing a Pavana Lachrymae by Byrd after Dowland. I only have the MP3 of this disc so I'm missing the booklet information.

Octave

Quote from: huntsman on March 17, 2013, 06:55:23 AM
Anyone?

GMG veterans might differ with me, huntsman, but I think you could do much worse than to get that cheap Fretwork ENGLISH MUSIC 5cd as a first (?) helping of some of this music.  I like all the music therein, but the two discs of Lawes knocked me out.  I am overdue to hear more of his music, which I will do soon. 
Consorts of viols make me think of cellos melting, though I have never actually heard cellos melting.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

val

Purcell and Gibbons works for Consort of Viols. The works of Gibbons are really extraordinary. Not forgetting the Concertos for viols of Sainte-Colombe.

huntsman

So consort is a word to describe the chamber ensemble, but with specificity to period?

Well, I dived right in and ordered the one Lawes album, (Knock somethingorother) and can't wait for it to dribble in slowly via our amazingly efficient postal (lack of) service...  >:D

Thanks for the replies!  ;D

petrarch

Quote from: huntsman on March 18, 2013, 07:31:11 AM
So consort is a word to describe the chamber ensemble, but with specificity to period?

And geography.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

huntsman

ibanezmonster

Quote from: huntsman on March 18, 2013, 07:57:26 PM
How so?

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 18, 2013, 02:27:56 AM
Not sure how accurate this is, but..."consort" was primarily used in England referring to a small set up of instruments. It predates the term "chamber", but they are very similar in meaning.
the bold part?

Que

Oh, come on guys... 8) It takes 5 seconds:

QuoteA consort of instruments was a phrase used in England during the 16th and 17th centuries to indicate an instrumental ensemble. These could be of the same or a variety of instruments. Consort music enjoyed considerable popularity at court and in households of the wealthy in the Elizabethan era and many pieces were written for consorts by the major composers of the period. In the Baroque era consort music was absorbed into chamber music.

Q

huntsman

Imagine if we Googled every question - we'd save ourselves hours monthly on a host of topic-specific web sites...

;)

Jo498

Any comments on this one? Still a contender or mainly of historical interest?

[asin]B0012GSKB2[/asin]

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on January 02, 2018, 04:53:39 AM
Any comments on this one? Still a contender or mainly of historical interest?

[asin]B0012GSKB2[/asin]

It's hard for me to comment with total confidence because I don't have exactly the same recording that you linked. But I do have quite a lot of the music played by the same people. It would be good if you could find a detailed listing of what's on there.

I can say that although I'm not a great Lawes person, if there was more like Leonhardt etc playing the D minor sonata with organ I'd be his biggest fan. I can also say that Leonhardt playing solo Farnaby, Tisdale, Byrd, Bull etc is sensational. 

The sound of the consort music is OK, perfectly enjoyable to hear if obviously dated. The solo harpsichord music is even better recorded.

But that amazon link mentions Locke (Consort of Fower Parts) and The Old Spagnoletta and lots of other stuff I don't know about, maybe played by Harnoncourt or Thomas Binkley.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Jo498

Thanks, it is probably a compilation from three or more Das Alte Werk LPs; from the clips I also liked the sound of the keyboard music best.
This is the most detailed content info I can find:
http://www.warnerclassics.com/shop/382252,0825646976546/das-alte-werk-english-music-of-the-17th-century
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal