Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Bravo ! Gouvy was born in Saarland, a disputed territory. The composer always wanted to be recognized as a frenchman.

Your turn, Andreï !

Florestan

Hint: his work has no less than three catalogue indexes but only two are usual.

EDIT: I'm off to bed. If someone guesses him (which can be verified with Google Image Search, but please don't cheat), feel free to post a new one without waiting for my approval.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on October 11, 2017, 12:19:08 PM

Hint: his work has no less than three catalogue indexes but only two are usual.

EDIT: I'm off to bed. If someone guesses him (which can be verified with Google Image Search, but please don't cheat), feel free to post a new one without waiting for my approval.

He looks like a very young Bartók.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 11, 2017, 03:05:12 PM
He looks like a very young Bartók.

Yep, it's Bartók most definitely. Your turn!

Florestan

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on October 11, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Yep! Where has he gone?  :D

I'm here! Well, this is my candidate.

Hint: He just composed an opera, but not very famous.

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 12, 2017, 11:20:07 AM

You must provide a magnifier.  ;D

ritter

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 12, 2017, 11:20:07 AM

Mmmm...he actually composed three operas (but only one has been recorded AFAIK).   

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: ritter on October 12, 2017, 11:41:56 AM
Mmmm...he actually composed three operas (but only one has been recorded AFAIK).

I was corroborating that information. True, there is a single opera recorded and two others that are not. Then you know the composer, it's your turn!

ritter

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 12, 2017, 12:52:53 PM
I was corroborating that information. True, there is a single opera recorded and two others that are not. Then you know the composer, it's your turn!
:) OK then...I was going to say something of orchestral scores being destroyed in a fire at the beginning of WW1 (a fire in which the composer himself died), but that would have perhaps been too much of a hint.... yes, it's Alberic Magnard.

Who can this be?

One could think he's a HvK lookalike here, but AFAIK,  the Austrian never performed any of this composer's music (Lenny OTOH did record one of his works).

Turner

Quote from: ritter on October 12, 2017, 01:11:34 PM
:) OK then...I was going to say something of orchestral scores being destroyed in a fire at the beginning of WW1 (a fire in which the composer himself died), but that would have perhaps been too much of a hint.... yes, it's Alberic Magnard.

Who can this be?

One could think he's a HvK lookalike here, but AFAIK,  the Austrian never performed any of this composer's music (Lenny OTOH did record one of his works).
It's Dallapiccola!

I'll just leave the next riddle option open for anyone who would like posting here.

Mirror Image

I guess I'll post a composer...

Mirror Image

If someone can't guess who it is, then I'll be happy to provide a clue as to who it could be.

Turner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2017, 06:39:38 PM

That one is a bit tough. Concerning the life-span of the composer, it reasonable to assume that the photo was taken say between 1920-1950?

And it´s funny how he looks somewhat like Dukas or S-Saens, without being them -
is it reasonable to assume that the composer is perhaps from a French- or maybe German-speaking territory?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

there is something Byrd like about his facial hair.

Florestan

Okay, I cheated.

Quote from: Turner on October 13, 2017, 12:00:09 AM
That one is a bit tough. Concerning the life-span of the composer, it reasonable to assume that the photo was taken say between 1920-1950?

Yes.

And it´s funny how he looks somewhat like Dukas or S-Saens, without being them -
is it reasonable to assume that the composer is perhaps from a French- or maybe German-speaking territory?

His look is indeed quite French, but no.

Christo

Quote from: André on October 11, 2017, 12:06:54 PMBernard Zweers ! Impossible to find without that hint... >:D , although I have his 3rd symphony, "to my Fatherland", I had no idea what he looked like !
Right and yes, was referring to his Third ('Aan mijn Vaderland'). This is a better-know portrait:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2017, 06:39:38 PM
I didn't check, but his looks are very similar to Bantock's.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 12, 2017, 12:52:53 PM

Well, aren't we allowed to know who you're talking about ?  :D