Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhymenoceros

I play a weird game with my friend where I make him identify composers by portrait/picture.  It's both fun and difficult trying to stump him.  The only time I managed to do it is when I accidentally chose this image below (which didn't seem right at the time being in color!)

Seriously, who would have known there's more than one Engelbert Humperdinck?!?

Anyway, I'll go first, with the image below:

Brian

Hah! By a crazy coincidence I'm listening to him right now!!

Brian

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2017, 01:40:09 PM
Hah! By a crazy coincidence I'm listening to him right now!!

Back before even Brian joined on, which is to say when Christ was still just a carpenter, I used to play a game here where I changed the picture of my avatar to a different composer as often as need be until someone nailed it. It was kinda fun, actually.  Brian's screenshot sucks, but I'm guessing that was Glinka there... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

While we're waiting for Brian's hint, here's mine:

I'll give you guys a hint: he died in a concentration camp during WWII.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2017, 07:03:59 PM
While we're waiting for Brian's hint, here's mine:

I'll give you guys a hint: he died in a concentration camp during WWII.

Erwin Schulhoff. It was easy  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 09, 2017, 07:08:38 PM
Erwin Schulhoff. It was easy  8)

Yes, indeed! Although I could have pictured Ullmann, Haas, Krása, or Klein. ;)

Mirror Image

Brian

Christopher Rouse!

I think the background of the picture I posted should be a substantial hint. Another thought: "studio" has meaning in several different businesses.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 10, 2017, 07:28:40 AM
Christopher Rouse!

I think the background of the picture I posted should be a substantial hint. Another thought: "studio" has meaning in several different businesses.

Yes, indeed. It's Rouse.

I'm still clueless as to the composer in your photo, Brian. I've seen plenty of composers sit in front of mixing boards.

Brian

If everyone is still stumped in 6 hours I will post a much more substantial hint.

GioCar

Brian

Christo

I thinks we've seen Miklós Rózsa (Budapest 1907 – Hollywood 1995) here before; at least, I saw his picure recently. Somewhere.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Brian

Christo

Romantic composer of a few symphonies, the last one epic:

Hint: his name is in the balconies' gallery of the Royal Concertgebouw in Amsterdam:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Bernard Zweers ! Impossible to find without that hint... >:D , although I have his 3rd symphony, "to my Fatherland", I had no idea what he looked like !

André

My turn:

This composer was born and died in Germany, although he didn't consider himself German.

Florestan

Quote from: André on October 11, 2017, 12:09:21 PM
My turn:

This composer was born and died in Germany, although he didn't consider himself German.

Theodore Gouvy
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini