Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on October 13, 2017, 04:04:36 AM
I didn't check, but his looks are very similar to Bantock's.

I'm not Mirror Image but I say: it's your turn, Johann!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on October 13, 2017, 04:04:36 AM
I didn't check, but his looks are very similar to Bantock's.

So is Bantock your final answer? ;)

ritter

Quote from: André on October 13, 2017, 06:30:15 AM
Well, aren't we allowed to know who you're talking about ?  :D
It's Alberic Magnard.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 13, 2017, 08:17:11 AMSo is Bantock your final answer? ;)
I swear, solemnly. Sir Granville Bantock.

Quote from: Florestan on October 13, 2017, 06:52:39 AMI'm not Mirror Image but I say: it's your turn, Johann!
Yours truly; spelled with one h more than in Romanian, but one n less than in German.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on October 13, 2017, 11:22:44 AM
I swear, solemnly. Sir Granville Bantock.

Then you would be correct, good sir! 8)

Christo

Okay, the man on the right: here in 1907 during a stay with Edvard and Nina Grieg at Troldhaugen and with Percy Grainger behind the wine:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Christo

Quote from: André on October 14, 2017, 04:31:05 AMHe looks like this guy:

Perhaps he does. But no, he's not Rued always-too-short-trousers Langgaard (and actually one generation older).

Mirror Image

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2017, 07:46:24 AMCould you give us a hint, Christo?
The first hint was already given: the man was a personal friend of the Griegs:
Quote from: Christo on October 13, 2017, 10:50:54 PMthe man on the right: here in 1907 during a stay with Edvard and Nina Grieg at Troldhaugen
The second: he was a personal friend of Brahms too.

Spineur

Quote from: Christo on October 14, 2017, 08:04:04 AM
The first hint was already given: the man was a personal friend of the Griegs:The second: he was a personal friend of Brahms too.
Violinist ?

Christo

Quote from: Spineur on October 14, 2017, 08:29:49 AMViolinist ?
See this thread's subject.  :D But he was also a famous pianist and conductor.

André

No, another dutch composer with his name on the Concertgebouw balcony... :D

Christo

Quote from: André on October 14, 2017, 10:27:49 AMNo, another dutch composer with his name on the Concertgebouw balcony... :D
Correct: third hint.  :D

André

Christo

Quote from: André on October 14, 2017, 10:29:27 AM
Initial J.R., but not an Ewing... :laugh:
Nor Julia Roberts, Judge Reinhold or Jack Robinson.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Ok, no answer from the audience, so I'll say it: Julius Röntgen, familiar to collectors of his symphonies on the CPO label, and cousin of the famous physician.

André

Can you identify this good looking dude ?

Hint: he didn't keep his good looks very long and died at a young age.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2017, 10:41:19 AMDeleted my messages.
Guess André's mystery composer and you have every right to test our knowledge of 'four symphony composers' again.  :D ;)