Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2017, 05:38:06 PM
Thank you! My knowledge of Baroque Era composers is quite limited, especially when it comes to what these composers actually look like. :)
About his death: during a rehearsal he got upset and wanting to express his displeasure by knocking his direction cane on the floor he hit his foot really hard instead.  Without antibiotics gangrene did set in and he died at age 54.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spineur on October 15, 2017, 05:43:56 PM
About his death: during a rehearsal he got upset and wanting to express his displeasure by knocking his direction cane on the floor he hit his foot really hard instead.  Without antibiotics gangrene did set in and he died at age 54.

Damn! Horrible way to go.

SymphonicAddict

He is not one of those ones who have mentioned. I'm gonna give them another hint: he studied with Pasquini.

Mirror Image

Interesting that it wasn't Lully. Now, I believe SymphonicAddict has Andre and Spineur stumped! :)

Christo

A pity a symphony-addict refrains from posting symphony composers - my special interest too - and starts teasing us with a some hairy Baroque master instead.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Spineur

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2017, 08:36:58 PM
Interesting that it wasn't Lully. Now, I believe SymphonicAddict has Andre and Spineur stumped! :)
This is why I enjoy this game so much !  At least we guessed his italian origin.  Lets see what the next guess is.

ritter

My first guess looking at the picture was Arcangelo Corelli . But AFAIK, he did not compose any operas, so it wouldn't be him....   :-[

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 15, 2017, 07:35:20 PM
He is not one of those ones who have mentioned. I'm gonna give them another hint: he studied with Pasquini.

Georg Muffat.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jackman

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 15, 2017, 12:38:08 PM
Well, let's see...

How about this guy?

Hint: He was a baroque composer. He composed some concerti grossi, orchestral suites, sonatas, operas, etc. I don't know any special work by him. He's not as unknown as we can think.

Is it Mufat? or Muffit?, something like that. I have a recording of his somewhere

ritter

One thing is for sure: that portrait of Muffat  is rather unflattering...  ::) 

IIRC I've never heard any of his music. I hope it's better than his looks... :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 16, 2017, 01:10:55 AM
One thing is for sure: that portrait of Muffat  is rather unflattering...  ::) 

IIRC I've never heard any of his music. I hope it's better than his looks... :laugh:

Haydn wasn't particularly handsome, either. And now that I think of it, that might be food for a new thread: The most handsome / ugliest composers;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 16, 2017, 01:15:33 AM
Haydn wasn't particularly handsome, either. And now that I think of it, that might be food for a new thread: The most handsome / ugliest composers;D
Haydn looks positively like an Adonis compared to good old Muffat. Go ahead, start that thread...could be fun!  :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Wait.....how is that not Lully? That IS Lully. That is his portrait.

Turner

Quote from: jessop on October 16, 2017, 03:40:32 AM
Wait.....how is that not Lully? That IS Lully. That is his portrait.

Yes it is Lully. A search in Google Pictures will confirm it, including varied versions of this portrait, and contemporary ones with his name and title.

Florestan

It's Lully alright, but the hint that was offered points to Muffat.

It's not the first time things are messed up. Just two pages ago Federico Garcia Lorca's image was offered for Silvestre Revueltas.

Turner

So always double check portrait sources comparatively!
Of course, Lully didn't compose concerti grossi.

Florestan

I guess I might claim it's my turn, so who's this sweet little child?

He grew up to become famous and his music is quite popular on GMG.

pjme

Spineur

Quote from: pjme on October 16, 2017, 05:11:11 AM
Let's introduce a female composer...

I have a few CD of her music, her piano trio and some of her mélodies.  Cécile Chaminade.  We actually need more recordings of her works.  Anybody has some good recomendations ?

pjme

Ah! Too easy.

I'll think of another one...

P.