Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

While pjme is thinking...

Who is this composer?

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2017, 06:50:36 AMWhile pjme is thinking...

Who is this composer?
Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901-1953) - to be honest, I saw her portrait when I checked Amy Beach, my first guess. #research
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on October 16, 2017, 07:51:14 AM
Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901-1953) - to be honest, I saw her portrait when I checked Amy Beach, my first guess. #research

Yes sir! She's the one.

Christo

Okay, let's now oblige to the rules and give the floor to Florestan's pending question. The one who solves his riddle, is entitled to present a new one:
Quote from: Florestan on October 16, 2017, 03:59:55 AM
I guess I might claim it's my turn, so who's this sweet little child?

He grew up to become famous and his music is quite popular on GMG.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Christo on October 15, 2017, 11:18:19 PM
A pity a symphony-addict refrains from posting symphony composers - my special interest too - and starts teasing us with a some hairy Baroque master instead.  ;D

Hehe, I wanted to change a little  :D.

And Florestan is right: it's Georg Muffat.

I guess it's his turn, but I see that you have already advanced.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Florestan on October 16, 2017, 03:59:55 AM
I guess I might claim it's my turn, so who's this sweet little child?

He grew up to become famous and his music is quite popular on GMG.

Wait a sec, I have played quite a bit of music myself by a chap who looks like that................... (seen this photo before when learning some of his music but couldn't remember exactly where, had to look around a bit on the internet for composers who wrote music for guitar but I found the photo again here: http://villalobos.iu.edu/taxonomy/term/13?page=1 seems like it is Heitor Villa-Lobos, correct?)

André

Well done Jessop, that one was difficult. I didn't even attempt to look it up  ???.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: André on October 16, 2017, 05:42:14 PM
Well done Jessop, that one was difficult. I didn't even attempt to look it up  ???.

Well I guess it is much easier if one has seen the photo before. I couldn't get most of the other ones and the ones I did know I was too slow to post their name!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

This one could be very easy but I am not sure if he looks as familiar to most of us as a younger man as he did when he was a little older.

kishnevi

Quote from: jessop on October 16, 2017, 06:34:38 PM
This one could be very easy but I am not sure if he looks as familiar to most of us as a younger man as he did when he was a little older.

Karl Heinz?

kishnevi

I am relying on Google for this to be an actual picture of the composer

Despite the title of his most famous work, he probably did not cry more than most people.

André

Well, your hint is actually a dead giveaway: John Dowland, composer of Lachrymae.

André

Going to bed, so I'll pass and let late nighters have fun !

Mirror Image

Okay, I'll throw someone out there: who is this composer?

Mirror Image

If no one guesses by the end of the night, I'll post a hint tomorrow. 8)

Spineur

I dont know who this is but I love his shirt collar with rounded corners.  It would be cool to wear a shirt like this today.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2017, 07:23:46 PM
Okay, I'll throw someone out there: who is this composer?

Certainly he is... someone I don't know  ;D

I'll think on it.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2017, 07:24:38 PM
If no one guesses by the end of the night, I'll post a hint tomorrow. 8)

You can post 10 hints, if you will, but I'd bet most people, including me (and possibly even you before looking for something to post here) have not even heard of him, let alone listened to his music, of which there is no available recording, anyway.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy