Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Can I just say that I recognize not a single photo of any of these composers. Admittedly, I am much better with voices than I am with faces. My wife is always rolling her eyes when I ask if I should recognize an actor in a movie. But if I hear them, I usually can tell you who it is.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

I recognize those I've seen before or those for whom the hint rings a bell to me. But how are we supposed to guess someone we have never heard of in the first place?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Turner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2017, 07:23:46 PM
Okay, I'll throw someone out there: who is this composer?

Seems that it could be Stenhammar:

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 17, 2017, 01:17:30 AM

That was my first thought as well, but it's not him.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Turner

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 01:19:30 AM
That was my first thought as well, but it's not him.

I guess the nose and the chin bone structure is perhaps a bit different.

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 17, 2017, 01:25:42 AM
I guess the nose and the chin bone structure is perhaps a bit different.

Precisely. This guy had a rather strange skull shape.

pjme

I found this picture ( totally new to me) on the Internet. Possibly it is all too easy to find its origins...
Anyway - he is a famous composer. He wrote several symphonies, concerti, a lot of chamber music, choral works etc. He grew bald....

pjme

Quote from: Turner on October 17, 2017, 01:17:30 AM

We have Stenhammar and a certain Frederick Septimus Kelly DSC (29 May 1881 – 13 November 1916), an Australian / British musician and composer... and a rower!

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on October 17, 2017, 02:06:30 AM

I found this picture ( totally new to me) on the Internet. Possibly it is all too easy to find its origins...
Anyway - he is a famous composer. He wrote several symphonies, concerti, a lot of chamber music, choral works etc. He grew bald....

Looks like a young Hindemith to me.

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on October 17, 2017, 02:09:26 AM
a certain Frederick Septimus Kelly DSC (29 May 1881 – 13 November 1916), an Australian / British musician and composer... and a rower!

How did you find him?

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 02:11:32 AM
Looks like a young Hindemith to me.

Yep, I think that's him, already half way to full baldness.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

pjme

yep, it is Paul Hindemith.

for the rest: Google....makes it all too easy...

Peter

pjme

Brother Rudolf Hindemith (also a compôser) had more luck, hairwise.

P.

Turner

Quote from: pjme on October 17, 2017, 02:09:26 AM
We have Stenhammar and a certain Frederick Septimus Kelly DSC (29 May 1881 – 13 November 1916), an Australian / British musician and composer... and a rower!

It is him. There´s very little music recorded, though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Septimus_Kelly

And the clothes did make me think of the British isles ...
as seen in portraiture of Bax, for example

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on October 17, 2017, 02:23:57 AM
for the rest: Google....makes it all too easy...

Well, yes, that's how I fond him too, but that's cheating. The idea is to guess the composser, not to google him / her. But then again, one cannot guess someone whose existence one completely ignores before a photo is presented.  I am very curious how many of us except MI ever heard about this Kelly guy.  ;D

And since it's again my turn, here's another child, but quite an easy one this time.

The image is the hint.

Jackman

Florestan

Quote from: Jackman on October 17, 2017, 03:14:26 AM
Google that composer's picture game?

;D

Just as "unfair" as googling obscure composers for the sake of posting their pictures.  ;D

But hey, it's just a game, after all. Cheating is part of the fun.  :laugh:

Back to that little swashbuckler, now! Come on guys, it's really piece of cake (well, at least for one poster it should be so).  :)

Florestan