Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

Not the most difficult, I think ...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 17, 2017, 05:35:12 AM
After all those hints, and Turner's reply, I must confess I have never heard of Mr. Ivanovici, have never heard of that waltz, and never (knowingly, at least) listened to that music. Mandarinsim has alienated me from the real world? Ich bin der welt abhanden gekommen?   ;D

Ay, caramba! Have you really never ever heard this tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/BD7iUoJP5pc

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 05:39:02 AM
Ay, caramba! Have you really never ever heard this tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/BD7iUoJP5pc
As far as I can recall, never in my life!  :-[ That's the problem with wagnerian-darmstadtian ivory towers... :laugh:

But I wasn't missing much,no?  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 17, 2017, 05:39:58 AM
Indeed.

He has a very peculiar look, I can't get him out of my mind ever since I saw him --- not so with his music, of which I haven't heard a single note as of yet.  :)

What about this gentleman?

The hint would give him away instantly --- and this is in itself a hint, all things considered.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 17, 2017, 05:43:11 AM
As far as I can recall, never in my life!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

No, really! I. AM. SHOCKED. !!!!

:-[ That's the problem with wagnerian-darmstadtian ivory towers... :laugh:

The problem is way more serious than I thought. It might even be incurable.  >:D

But I wasn't missing much,no?  ;)

Just a sunshine, a smile and a good, clean fun.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on October 17, 2017, 02:09:26 AM
We have Stenhammar and a certain Frederick Septimus Kelly DSC (29 May 1881 – 13 November 1916), an Australian / British musician and composer... and a rower!

Correct!

Turner

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 05:46:05 AM

What about this gentleman?

The hint would give him away instantly --- and this is in itself a hint, all things considered.  :)

I searched for a composer, but then right away got another, yet correct one among the offered options ... so it would be wrong to present that as an answer  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 17, 2017, 05:54:07 AM
I searched for a composer, but then right away got another, yet correct one among the offered options ... so it would be wrong to present that as an answer  ;D

Let's just say that his name is famous through no fault of his own.  ;D

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 06:11:16 AM
Let's just say that his name is famous through no fault of his own.  ;D

His symphonic output is big, but not as big as that his brother 'papa': Michael Haydn.

André

My turn, which I had passed last night  ;)

We're looking at that big, tall guy standing with a cigar in hand. The picture itself gives a very useful hint !

And a close up, portrait of the artist as a young man:

Spineur, give a chance to the others (that, too, is a hint  ;)).

kishnevi

I want to say Ysaye, but if it is I don't see how the picture is a clue.

André

Bravo, Ysaÿe it is !

Look at the avuncular-looking gentleman sitting front and centre in the top picture. The picture is obviously centered around him, with mostly younger men (his pupils). I thought that going from him, it would be easier to find Ysaÿe, but your eagle eye went straight for the kill   :D

The hint here is that Spineur regularly posts about Ysaÿe as composer (although in his time he was famous as a virtuoso violinist, the greatest of his era actually).

kishnevi

There are three composers in this picture.  Ravel, a famous composer, and a composer I never heard of until Google showed me this picture.
The  second famous composer is the one who is to be identified, but supernerd points if you can identify the obscure guy.
Bonus points if you can identify the other people in the photo.

André

That's Eva Gauthier standing behind Ravel. She was a famous singer in the early 20th century, creating or singing works by Ravel, Satie, Stravinsky. But she was not a composer. I'll leave the brownie points to those who are still awake. Bedtime for me !

kishnevi

Quote from: André on October 17, 2017, 07:01:06 PM
That's Eva Gauthier standing behind Ravel. She was a famous singer in the early 20th century, creating or singing works by Ravel, Satie, Stravinsky. But she was not a composer. I'll leave the brownie points to those who are still awake. Bedtime for me !
If you recognize Eva, you should be able to recognize the famous composer without a problem.

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on October 17, 2017, 05:46:05 AM
He has a very peculiar look, I can't get him out of my mind ever since I saw him --- not so with his music, of which I haven't heard a single note as of yet.  :)

Of course not. With Sorabji, you have to listen to him 5,000 notes at a time!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan