Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

This was once a famous composer - one hit wonder in opera land.... our grand parents used to weep and sigh when listening to his sentimental melodies.
In the 19th century a famous sauce was invented with the same name - albeit not after this composer's name....

Mirror image has found a very interesting composer...it is NOT Scriabin...

P.

Spineur

Quote from: pjme on October 19, 2017, 06:58:07 AM

This was once a famous composer - one hit wonder in opera land.... our grand parents used to weep and sigh when listening to his sentimental melodies.
In the 19th century a famous sauce was invented with the same name - albeit not after this composer's name....

P.
Benjamin Godard ?

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on October 19, 2017, 07:04:04 AM
Benjamin Godard ?

Looks like him, anyway. Has anyone tasted the Godard sauce, though?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

pjme

Et oui.

A Sauce Godard is a classic French Sauce made from a Demi-Glacé with Reduced Champagne (or White Wine), a Mirepoix, Ham and Truffle Essence.
According to Auguste Escoffier, in Le Guide Culinaire, Sauce Godard is well suited to accompany Relevés, Braised or Roasted joints of Meat served with a Garnish.

Enjoy, while listening to the Berceuse from Jocelyn .

Let's go all the way...préparez vos mouchoirs...

https://www.youtube.com/v/jIWw16P4jwM

P.

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2017, 07:08:22 AM
Looks like him, anyway. Has anyone tasted the Godard sauce, though?
I did not.  I have seen recipes for many variants, so I do not know the genuine one.

Many of them in french use truffles.  This one does not

http://chestofbooks.com/food/recipes/Culinary-Handbook/Sauces-And-Their-Uses-Part-8.html

Although I do enjoy the game a lot, I'll pass my turn for the time being as I am under a big pile of work and can check GMG only for brief moments

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on October 19, 2017, 06:58:07 AM

Come on, John, give us a hint.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2017, 07:23:19 AM
Come on, John, give us a hint.

Alright, fine, Andrei. :)

Hint: This composer completed the first Uzbek ballet and used original folk music from this country in the early 1930s.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2017, 07:42:04 AM
Alright, fine, Andrei. :)

Hint: This composer completed the first Uzbek ballet and used original folk music from this country in the early 1930s.

I couldn't have guessed him in a million years. He's dressed like 19th century.  ;D

But at least I got the country right.

Florestan

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2017, 08:01:44 AM
Now, who is this?

The receeding hair line the collar make me think it could be a portrait of Tchaikovsky I dont know.  So you see I am kind of unsure about this guess

North Star

Quote from: Spineur on October 19, 2017, 01:47:07 PM
The receeding hair line the collar make me think it could be a portrait of Tchaikovsky I dont know.  So you see I am kind of unsure about this guess
Apart from a receding hairline, the two look totally different..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2017, 07:50:22 AM
I couldn't have guessed him in a million years. He's dressed like 19th century.  ;D

But at least I got the country right.

Since no one has guessed correctly, the composer in question is Nikolai Roslavets.

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on October 19, 2017, 02:47:37 PM
Apart from a receding hairline, the two look totally different..

Indeed. Quite fair off the mark I'd say.

Florestan

Not Tchaikovksy.

Hint(s): he was the pupil and intimate friend of a much more famous composer and they were both expats.

André

Related to Wild Bill Hickok, that much is sure.

Florestan

Honestly, I don't see much resemblance between the two. The eyes, the noses, the chins, the frontal bones are obviously different. Even the moustaches have different shapes and colors.

Turner

Some more clues would be nice ... personally, I´m better in musical oeuvres than biographical details.

Florestan

He was an organist before leaving his home country. He regularly performed chamber music together with two of the most distinguished instrumentists of his country of adoption.

EDIT: his work is almost entirely dedicated to a single instrument, of which he was a master.

Florestan

Supplementary hint: had he been born 100 years earlier, he'd have had the same "citizenship" as Turner (the GMG member, that is, not the painter).

Turner

Then it is, of course, the Chopin student Thomas Tellefsen, from Norway. He´s had a bit of a Renaissance lately as regards recordings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tellefsen