Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Florestan on October 21, 2017, 11:43:42 AM
Honestly, I don't see much resemblance between the two. The eyes, the noses, the chins, the frontal bones are obviously different. Even the moustaches have different shapes and colors.

Boy, you sure studied them attentively. As if I had been serious  :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 21, 2017, 12:14:55 PM
Then it is, of course, the Chopin student Thomas Tellefsen, from Norway. He´s had a bit of a Renaissance lately as regards recordings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tellefsen

Yes. One of my best discoveries this year.

Your turn.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Turner

Thank you.

The guy on the left.

Clue: has - perhaps undeservedly - gained a somewhat childish reputation ...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on October 21, 2017, 11:18:29 PM
Thank you.

The guy on the left.

Clue: has - perhaps undeservedly - gained a somewhat childish reputation ...

That would be Ernő Dohnányi.

André

And that's Bartok sitting next to Dohnanyi, right ? I've never seen a pic of him in which he wears glasses.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on October 22, 2017, 06:07:38 AM
And that's Bartok sitting next to Dohnanyi, right ? I've never seen a pic of him in which he wears glasses.

Correct. If you do a Google image search on Bartok, I'm sure you'll find one. I've seen several of him sporting his spectacles.

Here's a few:

Turner

Quote from: André on October 22, 2017, 06:07:38 AM

Correct - concerning Bartok's somewhat strange looks here, it struck me as one of the few face options, that Nicolas Cage hasn't been seen in in a movie yet. But perhaps I'm wrong, since there are many such movies.

And the child-reference is of course the Variations on a Nursery Song, for decades the only work Dohnanyi was known for.
So, next riddle, please!

Spineur

This is a composition class.  Two of the composer on this photo are famous.  Who are they.

André

I think the two at the right look like R. Strauss and Rachmaninov. Too bad this is an impossibility  :D

Scriabine and Rachmaninoff were classmates, so that's a possibility.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spineur on October 22, 2017, 01:41:33 PM
This is a composition class.  Two of the composer on this photo are famous.  Who are they.

Easy...just too easy. Arensky and Rachmaninov.

kishnevi

Quote from: André on October 22, 2017, 03:29:02 PM
I think the two at the right look like R. Strauss and Rachmaninov. Too bad this is an impossibility  :D

Scriabine and Rachmaninoff were classmates, so that's a possibility.
I had the same basic thought, but couldn't figure out who the second composer would be for either.

Mirror Image

It's most definitely Anton Arensky as I suspected.

According to Wikipedia:

After graduating from the Saint Petersburg Conservatory in 1882, Arensky became a professor at the Moscow Conservatory. Among his students there were Alexander Scriabin, Sergei Rachmaninoff and Alexander Gretchaninov.

Spineur

Yes MI got it right away.  The other two composers are Lev Conus, Nikita Morozov.  If Morozov isnt totally forgotten, Lev Conus is.

Since this was too easy, here is another one.  The two gentelmen pictured below were brothers.  One of them was a composer.  Who is he and who is his brother..

Florestan

Not sure if the guy on the left is the composer, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this picture before. Hmmmm.....

Florestan

Is his brother known for some achievemnt of his own or just for being his brother's brother?  :)

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2017, 12:25:32 AM
Is his brother known for some achievemnt of his own or just for being his brother's brother?  :)
In fact, he is the most famous of the two.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on October 23, 2017, 12:28:32 AM
In fact, he is the most famous of the two.

:laugh:

Was he an artist, too?

Florestan

For the moment, I identified two pairs of brothers one of whom was a composer: Paul Juon / Konstantin Yuon (painter) and Josef Bohuslav Foerster / Viktor Foerster (painter). None of them seem to match the pictures or the hint...

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2017, 02:18:07 AM
For the moment, I identified two pairs of brothers one of whom was a composer: Paul Juon / Konstantin Yuon (painter) and Josef Bohuslav Foerster / Viktor Foerster (painter). None of them seem to match the pictures or the hint...
I'll wait until the US/Canada GMG's wake up before giving a hint.