Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Turner on October 24, 2017, 05:42:51 AM
Edit: edit due to typo errors resulted in quoting my own post, but I was first !
Reason for instant disqualification!

Just joking..Florestan permitting, it's your turn, Turner:)

Turner

I prefer listening to this guy´s earlier works.

ritter

Quote from: Turner on October 24, 2017, 05:49:49 AM
I prefer listening to this guy´s earlier works.
Thought it might be Roger Sessions but, no, it isn't...

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 24, 2017, 05:53:34 AM
Looks quite French to me...
Reminds me of the old joke of General de Gaulle being shown around the Musée d'Art Moderne..

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 24, 2017, 05:55:23 AM
Reminds me of the old joke of General de Gaulle being shown around the Musée d'Art Moderne..

:laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Turner

No, he doesn´t belong to those countries.

As regards the early works, I´m thinking of a lesser known work for piano and orchestra in particular. But it must be said that there is a later orchestral work that is somewhat known and fine too. It was promoted by the conductor Scherchen, for example. There´s an opera that is considered a key work, and a lot of chamber music, including many string quartets. Many would agree about the later style being tough.

Florestan

Mirror Image

I'm not too familiar with Orff's work, so that's why I didn't get it.

Turner

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2017, 06:02:10 AM
I'm not too familiar with Orff's work, so that's why I didn't get it.

A truly one hit wonder.  :) But as a boy he was adorable, wasn't he?

Florestan

Florestan

Ok. Who is this?

Turner

I´d be surprised if it is Scherchen (who was also a composer), but there is a good deal of resemblance. In that case a much lesser known photo of him as a very young man.

EDIT: no, the clothing in the riddle is probably too modern to belong to Scherchen´s younger days.

Florestan

Not Scherchen.

He was indirectly connected to a much more famous composer than him originating from the same country, about whose works he wrote a book that's been translated into English by another relatively famous musician.

The new erato

The famous composer being Bartok I feel.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on October 24, 2017, 09:01:49 PM
The famous composer being Bartok I feel.

No, but Bartok is actually a very good hint in one respect. In two, actually.  :)

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on October 24, 2017, 09:07:09 PMNo, but Bartok is actually a very good hint in one respect. In two, actually.  :)
Then his famous compatriot might be Enescu?   :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948