Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

...and if the famous compatriot is Enescu, then our mystery man must be Pascal Bentoiu.

Bentoiu's book on Enescu better be good, 'cause it goes for $131 on amazon!  ???

Turner

I´ve actually got a Romanian LP with string quartets 1+2 by this fellow ... but there are some works on you-tube as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Bentoiu
https://www.discogs.com/artist/873082-Pascal-Bentoiu

ritter

I only know Pascal Bentoiu for his valuable completions of Enescu´s Symphonies 4 & 5:

My turn, I guess (unless Florestan says I am mistaken)...

Who is this dashing young man?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 12:33:26 AM
...and if the famous compatriot is Enescu, then our mystery man must be Pascal Bentoiu.

Bentoiu's book on Enescu better be good, 'cause it goes for $131 on amazon!  ???

My hat off to you, good sir! Bravo!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 01:47:01 AM
I only know Pascal Bentoiu for his valuable completions of Enescu´s Symphonies 4 & 5:

That's the indirecrt connection I was talking about. And Bartok was good friends with Enescu and born on the territory of present-day Romania, so a double hint.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

I'm not too familiar with Romanian composers besides Enescu, so there's no question that I would have never guessed Florestan's composer.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 04:31:17 AM
I'm not too familiar with Romanian composers besides Enescu, so there's no question that I would have never guessed Florestan's composer.

I'm not so sure. If you had put together the hints I offered and did a bit of Google research you'd have probably been able to find him, even if you hadn't heard of him before.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 01:47:01 AM
Who is this dashing young man?

Can you give us a hint? Judging from the picture's link: he's Australian or maybe not?

Spineur

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 04:38:35 AM
Can you give us a hint? Judging from the picture's link: he's Australian or maybe not?
He looks familiar to me.  This game is actually getting more and more difficult as time progresses.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spineur on October 25, 2017, 04:43:22 AM
He looks familiar to me.  This game is actually getting more and more difficult as time progresses.

Wait until I get my turn! >:D

Mirror Image

I'm going to take a guess: is it John Antill?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 03:42:48 AM
That's the indirecrt connection I was talking about. And Bartok was good friends with Enescu and born on the territory of present-day Romania, so a double hint.
And, there's a live recording of Enescu conducting Bartók's MSPC in a posthumous homage to Dinu Lipatti, which it took me ages to find but finally got my hands on this summer  :):

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 04:38:35 AM
European, but with ties to America...

Think opera...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 04:51:46 AM
Think opera...

That's the first thing that came into my mind when seeing his eye make-up.  ;D

Looks familiar, indeed.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on October 25, 2017, 04:43:22 AM
This game is actually getting more and more difficult as time progresses.

For me, this is the most interesting thread* in a long while.  ;D

* excluding classics such as WAYLT, RTYAC or PT.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 04:51:46 AM
European, but with ties to America...

Think opera...

Did he compose anything besides operas?

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 05:01:04 AM
Did he compose anything besides operas?
I suppose so, but Ive never heard anything by him except this one opera, which was quite successful in its day, and still has a faint foothold in the repertoire.

Another of his operas was given in concert  form in NYC some years ago...

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 05:11:31 AM
I suppose so, but Ive never heard anything by him except this one opera, which was quite successful in its day, and still has a faint foothold in the repertoire.

Another of his operas was given in concert  form in NYC some years ago...

I give up...I haven't the foggiest idea of who this composer could be. I'm no lover of opera, so I suppose this definitely works against me here.

ritter

I can't give his home country as a clue, as that would give it away.. . This in itself is a clue... ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 05:28:18 AM
I can't give his home country as a clue, as that would give it away.. . This in itself is a clue... ;)

Indeed. Well, I'll leave this for the other gentlemen here. As I mentioned, opera isn't my specialty, so there's no way I could even make an educated guess.

Florestan