Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 05:43:34 AM
Emilio Arrieta?  ;D
AFAIK, Arrieta had no ties to America...

This man's operas were given in New York and Chicago... His most famous opera was permièred by Tullio Serafin, and there's a complete recording with Plácido Domingo as one of the leads...

Spineur

Pietro Mascagni ?  He does not look like the picture, but he fits the little clue you gave.

ritter

You're getting close, very close...

This man is more obscure than Mascagni, but I think that opera of his that still enjoys some circulation is far superior than anything Mascagni ever wrote..

Hint: As did Mascagni, this man also based an opera on a play by Gabriele d'Annunzio...

Turner

I have tried a few obscure ones, including Zandonai, Wolf-Ferrari and Floyd, but it´s not one of those.

ritter

Quote from: Turner on October 25, 2017, 06:33:42 AM
I have tried a few obscure ones, including Zandonai, Wolf-Ferrari and Floyd, but it´s not one of those.
Zandonai is a good guess...but no.

There's a live recording of the opera from the MET, conducted by the composer in 1941. He had settled in Southern California by then...

Florestan

Italo Montemezzi.

As we Romanians say, not even the Devil has heard about him.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 06:46:10 AM
Italo Montemezzi.

As we Romanians say, not even the Devil has heard about him.  ;D
Yes, finally!

His opera L'amore dei tre re was premiered by Tullio Serafin at La Scala in 1913, and then performed in New York (under Toscanini) and Chicago. Montemezzi himself conducted it at the Met in 1941 (with Grace Moore and Ezio Pinza), and a off-the-air recording is available on CD. Later, Plácido Domingo, Anna Moffo and Cesare Siepi recorded it for RCA under Nello Santi.

His opera La nave is based on d'Annunzio, and was given by NYC's Teatro Grattacielo opera company in 2012.

I couldn't (initially) say he was Italian, as that was kind of unveiling his christian name.  :D

L'amore dei tre re is well worth exploring....a more refined version of Italian verismo, with wagnerian, debussyian and straussian influences.

Florestan's turn, of course.  :)

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 25, 2017, 07:08:32 AM
Hồ Chí Minh ?

Author of Die Entfuehrung aus Saigon and Nixon in Indochina.

No, not him, but nice guess.

Mirror Image

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2017, 07:46:04 AM
How about Sinn Sing Hoi?

At first I thought you concocted this name.  :laugh:

No, not him either.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 07:57:36 AM
At first I thought you concocted this name.  :laugh:

No, not him either.

:D

Can you give us a hint?

Florestan

He was also a conductor, in which quality he conducted two very famous operas, one of which was recorded and is still acclaimed as an authoritative one.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 08:03:57 AM
He was also a conductor, in which quality he conducted two very famous operas, ...
As famous as L'amore dei tre re;)

Florestan

pjme

No, in spite of what you may think, his music is not that somber or tormented ... He was a conductor and an important director of a conservatory. Some of his oratoria were immensely popular.

P.

Christo

Quote from: pjme on October 25, 2017, 09:31:44 AMNo, in spite of what you may think, his music is not that somber or tormented ... He was a conductor and an important director of a conservatory. Some of his oratoria were immensely popular.

P.
As a neighbour from one of the other low countries, I of course recognize the Flemish patriarch immediately. But does that count?  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Turner

Quote from: pjme on October 25, 2017, 09:31:44 AM

No, in spite of what you may think, his music is not that somber or tormented ... He was a conductor and an important director of a conservatory. Some of his oratoria were immensely popular.

P.

I´ve got his Requiem and a bit more (without checking I think a Flute Concerto).

But my intuitive feeling is that we are dealing with two separate riddles now, not just one ... I´m les familiar with Asian composers, though Naxos has done a lot to promote both Japanese and Chinese ones.