Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on October 25, 2017, 10:16:48 AM
But my intuitive feeling is that we are dealing with two separate riddles now, not just one ... I´m les familiar with Asian composers, though Naxos has done a lot to promote both Japanese and Chinese ones.

Guys, here's a hint: despite the look, he was not Asian. He was not even half Asian. He was as European as it gets, doubly so in fact. Now, that's actually two hints.  :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

pjme

OK - allow me to solve all the riddles...

Florestan gave us a portrait of a very young Henri Büsser (he conducted early performances of Pelléas) and -indeed - I showed a famous painting of Peter Benoit...who as a young man conducted operetta in Paris (Bouffes Parisiens / Offenbach), became the first director of the Flemish Conservatory in Antwerp ..and "learned the people sing".

Benoit has  a quite impressive monument in Antwerp, designed by Henry Van de Velde, no less! After years of neglect, graffiti and other maltreatment, it was finally restaured earlier this year.

Turner

Buesser, well that was a surprise. All I know is that he orchestrated some Debussy.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Spineur

Never heard of this french composer !  If his music is as impressive as his tie, he is a must listen to...

André

Büsser is known - when at all - for his orchestrations of Debussy. A bit like Caplet. I don't have a note of his music. I do have a suite from Benoit's opera The Pacification of Ghent. But even if you beat me with a stick I'd never recognize him in a line up !

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on October 25, 2017, 10:54:33 AM
Never heard of this french composer !  If his music is as impressive as his tie, he is a must listen to...
I only knew him for his orchestrations of Debussy, and for his "arrangement" (along with Paul Dukas) of Les Indes galantes, as given in the Paris Opéra in the 50s and early 60s (the recording of which I bought not long ago and briefly discussed with you, Spineur, in the baroque opera thread). I can't locate any recordings of Büsser's original music, though...

At least he recorded his orchestration of Debussy's Petite suite, reissued on the enterprising Forgotten Records label:

Well played, Andrei8)

Of Peter Benoit I must admit I had never heard of... :-[

EDIT: Looking for recordings of Henri Büsser, I've just found out that a complete recording of Massenet's Manon with Fanny Heldy, which remember was in my grandmother's house in what must have been like one hundred 78 rpm discs, was conducted by him. A bit of a nostalgic moment there...

Mirror Image

I know it's not my turn, but I just have to stump you guys! Who is this composer?

GOOD LUCK!!!! >:D

pjme

The music by Benoit is hardly ever performed these days. His Third Fantasia for piano is rather well known and shows him in his most elegant/lyrical vein.

https://www.youtube.com/v/-CF-JpbNjoE

The contrast with his oratoria ( Lucifer, Rubens, de Schelde...)- could not be greater. They require enormous forces (19th. century/necessary for open air performances) and are, let's say, less refined.

https://www.youtube.com/v/CEoWft7jUsA

Here is an historical recording, Lodewijk de Vocht conducting.

OK, who is this?

Subtle orchestration wasn't possibly Benoit's forte, this composer, on the contrary, knew how to make an orchestra glitter and shine. I wouldn't be surprised if he is studying a score by Debussy ....

I have no clue at all about Mirror image latest mystery portrait... I will not use Google "Image search"!
Anyway - will be back only next Monday. No digital games or wizardry for a couple of days. Good luck and enjoy the weekend.
Peter

Christo

Quote from: pjme on October 26, 2017, 12:05:08 AM
OK, who is this?

Subtle orchestration wasn't possibly Benoit's forte, this composer, on the contrary, knew how to make an orchestra glitter and shine. I wouldn't be surprised if he is studying a score by Debussy ....
Your discription leaves only two major options open: Arthur Meulemans and Joseph Jongen. I go for the latter. :-)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

It is indeed Jongen. One of Belgium's best composers, whose superb symphonie concertante for organ and orchestra is probably his best known work (there are multiple recordings of it - it appears twice in the Liège Philharmonic big box, as well as his harp concerto and a few other works). Died in Sart-lez-Spa, a stone's throw from my wife's home town.

MI: give us a clue, I'm clueless too !

kishnevi

I did use Google image search, and have to confess I have never heard of him.  I don't even remember MI posting about him.

So I will leave one clue: Orfeo, jessop and alien may recognize his name.

Turner

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 26, 2017, 05:42:24 AM
I did use Google image search, and have to confess I have never heard of him.  I don't even remember MI posting about him.

So I will leave one clue: Orfeo, jessop and alien may recognize his name.
No result for those few composers in the area I immediately recall 😕 (If that is the clue)

Mirror Image

I'll give only two clues as to who the composer is in my photo I posted: he was one of the first composers to introduce the avant-garde to his home country and as a conductor he introduced his country to a multitude of avant-gardist composers and also was involved in the premiere performance of Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire in his country.

Mirror Image

I finally have everyone stumped! I'm loving this! :P

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2017, 06:18:36 AM
I finally have everyone stumped! I'm loving this! :P

My turn will come soon, so beware! I'm already preparing my revenge.   :laugh:

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on October 26, 2017, 07:10:35 AMMy turn will come soon, so beware! I'm already preparing my revenge.   :laugh:

pssssst: REALLY obscure Gagauz composer from Moldova, here. One (what's in a name!) D. Gagauz, nobody knows him: https://ibn.idsi.md/sites/default/files/imag_file/Osobenosti%20kompozitii%20dramaturghii.pdf #tip  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on October 26, 2017, 07:20:54 AM
pssssst: REALLY obscure Gagauz composer from Moldova, here. One (what's in a name!) D. Gagauz, nobody knows him: https://ibn.idsi.md/sites/default/files/imag_file/Osobenosti%20kompozitii%20dramaturghii.pdf #tip  ;D

Nah, too easy!

Turner

Quote from: Christo on October 26, 2017, 07:20:54 AM

Fireworks and general merriment is now being reported from Moldova  :laugh:

Christo

Quote from: Turner on October 26, 2017, 07:46:31 AMFireworks and general merriment is now being reported from Moldova  :laugh:
Nope. Nobody there knows him either; he's Gagauz (i.e. Turkish speaking, but Orthodox minority) ...