Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crudblud

Quote from: Florestan on November 03, 2017, 01:34:58 PM
He premiered the work of a famous composer who had written it for another famous performer and composer but the latter turned it down.
Something tells me that famous composer was Berlioz and that work was Harold en Italie, so it would be Chrétien Urhan.

Florestan

Quote from: Crudblud on November 03, 2017, 02:26:06 PM
Something tells me that famous composer was Berlioz and that work was Harold en Italie, so it would be Chrétien Urhan.

Exactly. Your turn, sir.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Crudblud

Here you go. Who's this handsome chap?

ritter

I looked up "cross-eyed composers" in google, but unfortunately got no useful results  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on November 04, 2017, 03:38:01 AM
William Boyce?

Judging by the attire and the peruque style, the guy lived earlier than Boyce.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Really thinking about John Blow, got the B's mixed up.

Crudblud

It ain't Boyce, gents (and/or ladies). Nor's it Blow, although that's a pretty decent guess.

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on November 04, 2017, 03:10:33 AM
I looked up "cross-eyed composers" in google, but unfortunately got no useful results  ;D

Google does know that he had strabismus.
But since I found him via Google, I will only say that Blow would think he lived on the wrong side of the sleeve.

Florestan

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2017, 10:09:22 AM
Jean-Henri d'Anglebert
Bravo ! I was pretty sure it was a french wig but did not recognized d'Anglebert.  I have heard a few of his harpsicord pieces but I cant say I know much of his music.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on November 04, 2017, 10:16:34 AM
Bravo !

Well, hat tip to Jeffrey Smith for providing the extremely useful hint that he was French and somehow similar to Blow.  :)

Who is this?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2017, 10:20:36 AM
Well, hat tip to Jeffrey Smith for providing the extremely useful hint that he was French and somehow similar to Blow.  :)

Who is this?
At first sight: Percy Grainger.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2017, 11:38:25 AM
I knew it was too easy...
OK, another easy one: symphonist, spent his most creative years in Paris:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Turner

It's Mattijs Vermeulen, pretty easy to deduct.

Am not able to post pictures right now, others are welcome.

Christo

Quote from: Turner on November 04, 2017, 12:17:06 PM
It's Mattijs Vermeulen, pretty easy to deduct.

Am not able to post pictures right now, others are welcome.
Almost :-) correct: Matthijs Vermeulen (his real name was Matthijs van der Meulen; 'Vermeulen' is also a common name, nothing specifically artistic about, but better sounding). Another easy one, his contemporary:

Crudblud

Quote from: Christo on November 04, 2017, 12:26:33 PM
Almost :-) correct: Matthijs Vermeulen (his real name was Matthijs van der Meulen; 'Vermeulen' is also a common name, nothing specifically artistic about, but better sounding). Another easy one, his contemporary:
Heitor Villa-Lobos?

Christo

Crudblud

Alright, let's try this one.