Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2017, 11:38:25 AM
I knew it was too easy...

It was too hard for  Google Image Search, which identified him as Cyril Scott. :D

Mirror Image

I'm curious how many of you are able to do a Google image search whenever the image has been uploaded to someone's computer and the file is renamed? Is there a special search function on Google that I'm unaware of? I mean when Andrei (Florestan) guessed one of the images I uploaded (which happened to be Richard Meale an Australian composer), in the back of my mind, I was most certain I had everyone stumped.

kishnevi

If you have Google Chrome, right click on the image and one of the options offered is an image search.

If you don't have Chrome, do a search on the phrase "reverse image search" to find the method for your own OS.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 04, 2017, 05:33:12 PM
If you have Google Chrome, right click on the image and one of the options offered is an image search.

If you don't have Chrome, do a search on the phrase "reverse image search" to find the method for your own OS.

But I don't understand how someone can get the original image URL from a file that I saved to my computer and renamed?

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2017, 05:41:56 PM
But I don't understand how someone can get the original image URL from a file that I saved to my computer and renamed?

Google (in essence) loads the data that defines the pixels of your image and hunts up images that match that data set. IOW it's looking for an image, not an URL. It shows several results and gives a "best guess".

Sometimes it's wrong, as when it told me that picture of Percy Grainger was Cyril Scott.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 04, 2017, 05:48:48 PM
Google (in essence) loads the data that defines the pixels of your image and hunts up images that match that data set. IOW it's looking for an image, not an URL. It shows several results and gives a "best guess".

Sometimes it's wrong, as when it told me that picture of Percy Grainger was Cyril Scott.

Hmmm...interesting. What you can do these days is certainly astonishing.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2017, 05:26:36 PM
I'm curious how many of you are able to do a Google image search whenever the image has been uploaded to someone's computer and the file is renamed? Is there a special search function on Google that I'm unaware of? I mean when Andrei (Florestan) guessed one of the images I uploaded (which happened to be Richard Meale an Australian composer), in the back of my mind, I was most certain I had everyone stumped.

I recognised him when I saw the photo but Florestan had already replied.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on November 04, 2017, 06:08:41 PM
I recognised him when I saw the photo but Florestan had already replied.

I knew you would recognize him being a fellow Australian and a composer. ;)

Florestan

I have Mozilla Firefox. Irrespective whether the image is copy-pasted in the message body or attached to it, I rightclick it, select "copy image location" and then paste it on Google Image Search.

As for the Grainger / Scott confusion, I originally intended to post Scott and I looked for a picture different than the classic ones. After posting it, I realized that they were dead wrong, that is Grainger alright.  :D

This is Cyril SCott:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Turner

So here´s a new riddle.

Some might be able to guess a bit about the region from the background architecture.
I think he´s mainly been known for some concertante works some decades ago, but there are more pieces now.  Has especially been promoted by two labels with quite exclusive cover designs and a preference for black, and black & white.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Turner on November 04, 2017, 10:59:50 PM
So here´s a new riddle.

Some might be able to guess a bit about the region from the background architecture.
I think he´s mainly been known for some concertante works some decades ago, but there are more pieces now.  Has especially been promoted by two labels with quite exclusive cover designs and a preference for black, and black & white.

I am pretty sure that ECM is one of the record labels (is the other one BIS?).......and if that architecture is something kinda east of Europe or from the Caucasus region would it be safe to guess that this is Tigran Mansurian? (google image search was not used but Wikipedia and the ECM online catalogue helped me)

Turner

Quote from: jessop on November 04, 2017, 11:45:59 PM
I am pretty sure that ECM is one of the record labels (is the other one BIS?).......and if that architecture is something kinda east of Europe or from the Caucasus region would it be safe to guess that this is Tigran Mansurian? (google image search was not used but Wikipedia and the ECM online catalogue helped me)
Indeed, well thought through. (The other label is Orfeo) 👍

BTW, there´s now an interesting Brilliant Classics budget release I didn´t know about
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8315527--mansurian-songs-and-instrumental-music

ComposerOfAvantGarde

The hint is the instrument she is resting her elbow on is the instrument for which she is best known these days for composing, although she was quite unusual in that she wrote music across a wide variety of genres at the time, not simply sticking mainly to one.

Also I have mentioned her name in a post I made somewhat recently I think........

Turner

I somehow remembered that instantly - Elisabeth Jacquet de la Guerre  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lisabeth_Jacquet_de_La_Guerre

A portrait displaying a remarkable self-confidence ...

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 12:54:19 AM

Aha very quick! Well I guess it is over to you again! :)

Turner

Thank you. Moving on to a new one:

1) He is not related to Emma Kirkby, but the latitudes of their places of birth aren´t that different ...

2) He only lived to be 50 years old.

3) He composed in a lot of genres. There´s a CD box with all of his works.

ritter

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 12:54:19 AM

Indeed. Since there aren't that many female baroque composers whose work is known to us these days, and jessop has championed her music here on GMG, this one was easy... ;)

Well, since I recognized Zimmermann instantly last night after Crudblud posted him, I guess it's my turn:

P.S.: Ooops, I see Turner has also posted. Well, two simultaneous riddles then  :)

Turner

Is it a lesser known picture of the younger Dallapiccola?

Goldoni on the book shelf behind him is a rather local, Italian thing, at least ...

ritter

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 01:14:25 AM
Is it a lesser known picture of the younger Dallapiccola?

Goldoni on the book shelf behind him is a rather local, Italian thing, at least ...
Very, very close....but no.