Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

Ok, Petrassi it is then. Somehow he keeps being a bit neglected, except perhaps for those orchestral concertos ... not that big a name any longer, I think.

ritter

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 01:20:52 AM
Ok, Petrassi it is then. Somehow he keeps being a bit neglected, except for those orchestral concertos.
Petrassi it is...as for your picture, Turner, I don't have the foggiest idea... ::)

Turner

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 01:22:59 AM
Petrassi it is...as for your picture, Turner, I don't have the foggiest idea... ::)

I guess the problem is that X hasn´t really been promoted by other labels than a rather local record company.

There are many different works, including orchestral ones, and some featuring a clarinet. There´s also a symphony involving vocal soloists, but his works tend to be intrumental, by far.

And, as already said:

1) He is not related to Emma Kirkby, but the latitudes of their places of birth aren´t that different ...

2) He only lived to be 50 years old.

3) He composed in a lot of genres. There´s a CD box with all of his works.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 01:08:28 AM
Indeed. Since there aren't that many female baroque composers whose work is known to us these days, and jessop has championed her music here on GMG, this one was easy... ;)

Well, since I recognized Zimmermann instantly last night after Crudblud posted him, I guess it's my turn:

P.S.: Ooops, I see Turner has also posted. Well, two simultaneous riddles then  :)

Love a bit of Petrassi, only came across his music very recently actually

Turner

Also, it is very likely that X´s personal name was taken from a Wagner opera.

Christo

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 01:04:01 AM
Thank you. Moving on to a new one:

1) He is not related to Emma Kirkby, but at the latitudes of their places of birth aren´t that different ...

2) He only lived to be 50 years old.

3) He composed in a lot of genres. There´s a CD box with all of his works.
Again a very easy one, I even met the guy. Tristan Keuris, it is.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Turner

Quote from: Christo on November 05, 2017, 03:40:42 AM
Again a very easy one, I even met the guy. Tristan Keuris, it is.
Yes, of course. How did you meet him?

Christo

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 03:44:42 AMYes, of course. How did you meet him?
In the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, just like Louis Andriessen and others. Amsterdam is a village. :-)

Another one, not that difficult:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on November 05, 2017, 03:50:23 AM

I don't recognize him at first sight, but he looks like he's fed up with everything and everyone.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2017, 07:00:59 AM
I don't recognize him at first sight, but he looks like he's fed up with everything and everyone.  ;D
He's probably thinking "Oh no, I have to play the organ again!"...  ;)

Turner

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 07:07:39 AM
He's probably thinking "Oh no, I have to play the organ again!"...  ;)

Was he mainly a composer of organ music, or other genres? I tried a few German, Belgian and Dutch composers, but without result.

Indeed, a smile on that face would be quite a contrast to the mood he seems to be in ;D

ritter

Quote from: Turner on November 05, 2017, 08:48:42 AM
Was he mainly a composer of organ music, or other genres? I tried a few German, Belgian and Dutch composers, but without result.
Go east, young man, go east!  ;D

Florestan

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 09:10:06 AM
Go east, young man, go east!  ;D
Wrong: North. But he ended up living in Berlin.

ritter

Quote from: Christo on November 05, 2017, 09:44:33 AM
Wrong: North. But he ended up living in Berlin.
Well, the last time I looked at the map his birthplace was east and north of Berlin (and of the countries Turner mentoned),

So, go northeast, young man, go northeast!  :)

Mirror Image

In the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, just like Louis Andriessen and others. Amsterdam is a village. :-)

What genre was he most prolific in?

Florestan

not that difficult:

Not that difficult my a$$! Not even the devil has heard about him!!!!  ;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2017, 10:07:22 AM
Not that difficult my a$$! Not even the devil has heard about him!!!!  ;D
Montemezzi starting to look mega-famous now, eh?  :laugh:

Florestan