Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 10:13:05 AM
Montemezzi starting to look mega-famous now, eh?  :laugh:

Only because I learned him before, but I swear that when my turn comes I will get this thread stuck  for a decade!   >:D >:D >:D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2017, 09:58:06 AM
What genre was he most prolific in?
Music, especially. His masterpiece is a huge oratorio about an unwilling messenger.

Quote from: Florestan on November 05, 2017, 10:13:41 AM
Save your time! This is Christo's revenge for Richard Meale.  ;D
>:D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

He comes from a land by the sea,
Of which there is not one, but three.

;)

kishnevi

I'll add three hints.
His daughter became a composer.
His home country put him on some of its money (although during his own lifetime, it was not a country).
A string quartet named itself after him.

That was after checking Google image search....

Mirror Image

springrite

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 05, 2017, 12:53:39 PM
I'll add three hints.
His daughter became a composer.
His home country put him on some of its money (although during his own lifetime, it was not a country).
A string quartet named itself after him.

That was after checking Google image search....

Seems to be Slovakian...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 09:51:28 AM
So, go northeast, young man, go northeast!  :)
For you, of course, Andorra and about all of the rest of Europe are situated 'north-east'.  :D But the place under discussion lies exacctly on the geographical axis of the subcontinent and can therefore never be said to lie East or West, but only North or South.  8)

Quote from: ritter on November 05, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
He comes from a land by the sea,
Of which there is not one, but three.
;)
;) Disagree again: there's no convincing connection between these 'three', and on the contrary, the Northern neighbour is the most closely related in most cultural and historical aspects.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Some more hints:

- judging by his, and his father's, mother's and daughter's name, he probably had the same relation with the natives of that country as Sibelius had with the Finns, ie he was born into the another-language-speaking social and cultural elite.

- the pianists Buchbinder and Koch.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on November 05, 2017, 09:43:54 PM
Disagree again: there's no convincing connection between these 'three'

Yes, there is and it's exactly the connection described in the verses Rafael cited: all three lay on the shores of the same sea.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2017, 01:32:21 AMYes, there is and it's exactly the connection described in the verses Rafael cited: all three lay on the shores of the same sea.
all three at least ten countries lay on the shores of the same sea  #fixed  :D

DaveF

I actually think I know this one without any form of cheating: isn't this Rudolf Tobias, composer of Des Jona Sendung?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kishnevi

Quote from: DaveF on November 06, 2017, 02:01:20 AM
I actually think I know this one without any form of cheating: isn't this Rudolf Tobias, composer of Des Jona Sendung?

We have a winner!

I confess to never having heard of him before.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on November 06, 2017, 01:38:19 AM
all three at least ten countries lay on the shores of the same sea  #fixed  :D

Yeah but only those three on its easternmost shore, excluding Russia.  ;D

Florestan

Have you ever heard that oratorio before?

ritter

Well, only Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are collectively referred to as the three "Baltic Republics" (thus my cute octosyllabic verses--"Schlechte Zeit für Lyrik;)). And they may well be at the "geographical axis of the subcontinent", but they are east (or northeast if you will) of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany....  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 06, 2017, 04:54:42 AM
Well, only Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are collectively referred to as the three "Baltic Republics" (thus my cute octosyllabic verses--"Schlechte Zeit für Lyrik;)).

Of course. With all due respect to our dear Christo, complaining about them being lumped together as "The Baltic States" is strikingly similar to our dear friend Mahlerian complaining about the use of "atonalism": pretty much everybody else use the term and understand it rightly, without any need for caveats, contextualizations or rationalizations.  :laugh:

Quote from: ritter on November 06, 2017, 04:54:42 AM
And they may well be at the "geographical axis of the subcontinent", but they are east (or northeast if you will) of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany....  ::)

The Earth is round, though. Go West from Germany far enough and you will eventually reach Tallin.  :D :D :D

Turner

Now we need a new riddle  8)

I wouldn´t call the Tobias riddle easy though, probably it´s 0,01 % or so of classical listeners who´ve heard of the name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Tobias
https://www.discogs.com/artist/2580047-Rudolf-Tobias
I´ve got an ouverture by him, his style is rather conservative, from what I know.

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on November 06, 2017, 05:17:22 AM
Now we need a new riddle  8)

I wouldn´t call the Tobias riddle easy though, probably it´s 0,01 % or so of classical listeners who´ve heard of the name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Tobias
I´ve got an ouverture by him, his style is rather conservative, from what I know.

Well, here are my two cents on the matter.

Riddles involving lesser-known, or completely unkown, pictures of famous or relatively famous composers or relatively obscure composers for the public at large but not so for the GMGers are the most interesting, and all of us are theoretically able to solve them without having to cheat. Hence my penchant for posting children or teenager photos.

On the contrary, riddles involving very obscure composers that pretty much nobody else other than the proponent of the riddle has heard about --- about whom not even the devil has heard, as we say in Romanian in such cases --- are the least interesting, because no matter how many hints would be given, how can one guess somebody whose existence one completely ignores?

Christo

He is. And his music is quite regularly performed, also out of Estonia. Check the recordings of his music.

Des Jona Sendung might even be called a masterpiece; try it!  ;D