Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Christo on November 06, 2017, 06:04:19 AM
He is. And his music is quite regularly performed, also out of Estonia. Check the recordings of his music.

Des Jona Sendung might even be called a masterpiece; try it!  ;D
It certainly has piqued my curiosity, Christo. Thanks for bringing him to our attention (even if you and I we cannot seem to agree on geography  :D ).

Cheers,

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2017, 05:13:35 AMpretty much everybody else use the term and understand it rightly
Most people I heard using the term, included Finland. And sometimes exclude Lithuania (which is more 'Central European' oriented and not very 'Baltic'  after all; something I often heard Lithuanians themselve underline as well). So from my perspective it's not that obvious at all and 'Baltic countries' might refer to very different concepts and perspectives.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on November 06, 2017, 06:38:04 AM
Most people I heard using the term, included Finland. And sometimes exclude Lithuania (which is more 'Central European' oriented and not very 'Baltic'  after all; something I often heard Lithuanians themselve underline as well). So from my perspective it's not that obvious at all and 'Baltic countries' might refer to very different concepts and perspectives.

Just like I said: "The Baltic States" is geographic "atonality".  ;D  >:D  :P

Be it as it may, who is this?

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Turner

Florestan

Florestan

Another hint: it's not someone I looked for ad hoc; I own two recordings of his music.

Supplementary hint: his brother was an artist as well.

DaveF

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2017, 04:32:10 AM
Have you ever heard [Des Jona Sendung] before?

A copy of the BIS recording was given to me by a friend from his large 'Out' pile.  It very quickly went onto my 'Out' pile too, and I confess to retaining no memories of it at all beyond the picture of the composer in the booklet.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Christo

Quote from: DaveF on November 06, 2017, 12:37:51 PMA copy of the BIS recording was given to me by a friend from his large 'Out' pile.  It very quickly went onto my 'Out' pile too, and I confess to retaining no memories of it at all beyond the picture of the composer in the booklet.
That's a real pity: I treasure Des Jona Sendung - comparable to Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln by Franz Schmidt. It's a very accomplished piece with a dark message too, very impressive IMHO. (I once wrote an essay on it and of course, that helps).  :)

Quote from: ritter on November 06, 2017, 06:25:42 AM
It certainly has piqued my curiosity, Christo. Thanks for bringing him to our attention (even if you and I we cannot seem to agree on geography  :D ).

Cheers,
Cheers!  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

BUMP...

...and hint: he lived most of his life, and died, in a city where an ultra-super-very famous painter was born.

Turner

Quote from: Florestan on November 08, 2017, 12:29:15 AM
BUMP...

...and hint: he lived most of his life, and died, in a city where an ultra-super-very famous painter was born.

Would the town be Malaga?

Florestan

Florestan

Still no idea? Think Grieg, Elgar and Lalo...

ritter

If the town is Málaga, then our mysterious man is Eduardo Ocón Rivas...

I insist, compared to him, Italo Montemezzi seems as famous as Michael Jackson...

Turner

Quote from: ritter on November 10, 2017, 01:23:47 PM
I insist, compared to him, Italo Montemezzi seems as famous as Michael Jackson...

+1 😎

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 10, 2017, 01:23:47 PMIf the town is Málaga, then our mysterious man is Eduardo Ocón Rivas...

I was happy enough to visit Málaga - a great town/city that I really liked very much for its combination of 'real' history and an almost total neglect of it - a characteristic of many places that I love. I mean: never heard of Eduardo Ocón, to be honest. The only malagueño composer that I know is Emilio Lehmberg - and I think he's not a household name either.  ???

kishnevi

Now it's time for Ritter to post a composer so famous not even Florestan has heard of him.

I knew it was Ocon, but kept my mouth shut because I used Google image search to find him.  I too never heard of him.

ritter

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 10, 2017, 02:04:54 PM
Now it's time for Ritter to post a composer so famous not even Florestan has heard of him.

I knew it was Ocon, but kept my mouth shut because I used Google image search to find him.  I too never heard of him.
I had never heard of him either...and, yes, I am Spanish  ::). Only some investigation about composers born in Málaga led me to him...and Lehmberg as well  ;)

Let's see...now for something completely different:

André

I don't have any merit, you just posted about him in the WAYLT thread... ;)

Marc-André Dalbavie

ritter

Quote from: André on November 10, 2017, 02:37:50 PM
I don't have any merit, you just posted about him in the WAYLT thread... ;)

Marc-André Dalbavie
Indeed... Which means that at least someone listens to his music  ;)

Your turn, cher ami.