Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on November 11, 2017, 07:24:14 AM
He has a very dark complexion. My first guess was that he was egyptian, but this clue seems to point to a latin american origin.

This very post has a clue within itself.

Spineur

Florestan

Ginastera was white, this guy is obviously dark-skinned.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2017, 07:42:18 AM
This very post has a clue within itself.

Referring to his « very dark complexion » ? Or his « egyptian » looks ? Unless it's the latin american origins ?? I don't feel we have made great strides toward a positive identification, here  :laugh:

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on November 11, 2017, 01:58:57 AM
Given that nobody but you heard about IM and nobody but me heard about EOyR, I'd say they are equally famous, in any case much less than Rudolf Tobias, about whom no less than two people have heard.  :laugh:

I knew about Montemezzi years ago, because of The Love of Three Kings, although I probably have never heard it (just checked--the Metropolitan Opera seems to have last performed it in 1941).  But there is a relatively modern recording of it, and a general audience is far more likely to have heard of him than to have heard of Tobias, Ocon, or  the Chavez disciple currently under consideration.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on November 11, 2017, 08:54:10 AM
Referring to his « very dark complexion » ? Or his « egyptian » looks ? Unless it's the latin american origins ?? I don't feel we have made great strides toward a positive identification, here  :laugh:

Hmmm...an Egyptian that studied with Chavez and Copland...umm...no. Unless the Aztecs have something to do with the Egyptians...hmmm. :)

Mirror Image

Looks like I've got the crew stumped yet again. :) This is great to witness.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2017, 06:43:51 AM
Looks like I've got the crew stumped yet again. :) This is great to witness.

It's the easiest thing in the world, actually. Look up for a list of composers from a specific region / country, pick one of the most obscure names, preferably one whose music has never been recorded (which, if Amazon.com is any indication, is precisely the case with your guy --- yes, I've googled him!  ;D ), and there! --- you stump everyone.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 12, 2017, 06:52:57 AM
It's the easiest thing in the world, actually. Look up for a list of composers from a specific region / country, pick one of the most obscure names, preferably one whose music has never been recorded (which, if Amazon.com is any indication, is precisely the case with your guy --- yes, I've googled him!  ;D ), and there! --- you stump everyone.

But you wouldn't have known who the composer is if you hadn't looked him up, so therefore, you would be stumped and could only offer a guess, which you would, most definitely, have been wrong.

Actually, this particular composer was featured in a box set on Brilliant Classics and he's not as obscure as Amazon would have you believe. Just because a composer doesn't have many recordings doesn't automatically mean they're unknown.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2017, 06:58:12 AM
But you wouldn't have known who the composer is if you hadn't looked him up, so therefore, you would be stumped and could only offer a guess, which you would, most definitely, have been wrong.

Precisely, and this brings me to a point I've made several times: how can one *guess* someone whose very existence one ignores completely?

QuoteJust because a composer doesn't have many recordings doesn't automatically mean they're unknown.

Had it not been for that particular recording would you have known him? Have you ever guessed somebody whom you didn't know beforehand without extensive research on Google? (I'm not talking about googling the picture, mind you!)

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2017, 04:57:05 PM
Nope. Not Ginastera.

But there is an indirect connection between the mystery man and a relatively well known work by Ginastera.

The mystery man is as well known as Ocon and Tobias, imo.

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

The obscurest of the obscure unknown composers... ::)

André

Can we proceed WITHOUT e-trickstery like Google Image ???  :'(

Florestan

Quote from: André on November 13, 2017, 06:22:36 AM
Can we proceed WITHOUT e-trickstery like Google Image ???  :'(

You can proceed any way you wish.

My point is that the picture John provided is apparently not Galindo but Ayala.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 06:26:01 AM
You can proceed any way you wish.

My point is that the picture John provided is apparently not Galindo but Ayala.
Look at the bright side of things: compared to this, even Rudolf Tobias would seem to enjoy mega-star status.  ::)

I also googled the image (and immediately stopped playing, of course, as I couldn't even provide any worthwhile clues) and the result was not Galindo, but Ayala. But then the man in the picture you provided for Galindo, Andrei, could well be the man in the picture that John gave us. They wear very similar glasses, and perhaps he just stopped dying his hair  :D

Galindo is in that Brilliant Classics box set of Mexican music John gave as a clue. Ayala, IIRC, is not...

All very, very confusing... ???

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 13, 2017, 06:35:53 AM
Look at the bright side of things: compared to this, even Rudolf Tobias would seem to enjoy mega-star status.  ::)

:laugh:

I also googled the image (and immediately stopped playing, of course, as I couldn't even provide any worthwhile clues)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with googling the image, as long as one doesn't post the name of the composer pretending one guessed him --- and nobody here did that.

and the result was not Galindo, but Ayala. But then the man in the picture you provided for Galindo, Andrei, could well be the man in the picture that John gave us. They wear very similar glasses, and perhaps he just stopped dying his hair  :D

Galindo is in that Brilliant Classics box set of Mexican music John gave as a clue. Ayala, IIRC, is not...

I have that box myself and checked immediately after John alluded to it, not for Galindo but for Ayala.

All very, very confusing... ???

This is what happens when one picks obscure names, not even Google can sort them out properly...  ;D