Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 06:19:08 AM
Hey, just wait a minute!!!

If you do a google search by that image they say he is Daniel Ayala Perez

https://www.google.ro/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZism3kszTSc9aWpkLPxZrLxa458KrugUJpxNPXVxuyM4O-WpitL7pAg_1yARC_1YhHv1DN4LReFXUg2MHseLvbwnK8gzxxbYagWaP4HVNMBUQqVR0F3AXKGl8UtLQxbk8m9gyoE1awgWoagSqr_1p3T54fsHDtnT5I2R2iUEwulC479xxAsNk3JyrdJGpCfdfUnBroILB5y4lOI5AV4ZNR1KBv1HdKIqnS98sK7H8qkspGdzfvHPzW5iYZRVfMYi-wBxd77OaqFjThS6dicslE259dK5cIzPMuPscmsQi0xNBQ8JM3KgozgDFK0P3k16hD6tgvu9Uz0LH9Gd9ROFBLwk0aWEPf2PQ&btnG=Search%20by%20image&hl=en-RO

and there are three sites that identify him as such:

http://www.historiadelasinfonia.es/naciones/la-sinfonia-en-mexico/otros-compositores/ayala/

https://alchetron.com/Daniel-Ayala-P%C3%A9rez

https://www.ediciones.com.mx/?p=14603

Blas Galindo is this one:

The two are obviously different.

Confusing, to say the least.  ;D

Oh well...

Clearly from my clues I meant Blas Galindo. I found an image of him (or least who I thought was him), saved it to my computer, and posted it here. In my defense, the two men do look rather similar.

Anyway, this game has become quite tiresome since there's too many members here relying on Google image search and not on their actual knowledge of the composer in question. There's a reason why clues are given: to help us think not cheat.

So, for me, it's GAME OVER. Goodbye everyone! :)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 06:43:29 AM
Anyway, this game has become quite tiresome since there's too many members here relying on Google image search and not on their actual knowledge of the composer in question. There's a reason why clues are given: to help us think not cheat.

Let's clarify things (once again): cheating means googling the image and posting the name as if guessed. AFAIK, nobody did that.

Simply googling the image and not posting anything afterwards is not cheating, not by any stretch of imagination.

You reall don't get it, John, do you? What "actual knowledge" can one have of someone about whom one has not even heard?

Until listener comes with his own riddle, I suggest this (easy) one.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 06:55:06 AM
Let's clarify things (once again): cheating means googling the image and posting the name as if guessed. AFAIK, nobody did that.

Simply googling the image and not posting anything afterwards is not cheating, not by any stretch of imagination.

You reall don't get it, John, do you? What "actual knowledge" can one have of someone about whom one has not even heard?

You've never picked up a book on classical history before or have done any extensive reading on any composer or have read liner notes accompanying recordings that you buy? You know plenty of obscure composers, Andrei. The reason you know is because you have read about them and, therefore, have gained knowledge about them. If you've never heard of the composer or recognize them from the picture provided, then obviously you wouldn't know them or have heard of them, but, usually, the clues provide you with an idea of who the composer is and if you still have no idea, then admit you have no idea and leave it to someone else to guess. Stop using Google to do your work for you is really the bottomline. If you can't do this, then you're obviously cheating and have no desire to rely on your own memory. If I post an image and I don't know who the composer is, guess what I'm going to say? I have no idea who that composer is. Why would I say this? Because I'm not going rely on Google image search to cheat for me and I'm not afraid to say "I don't know." That's the difference here and something that you've failed to understand.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 07:15:25 AM
You've never picked up a book on classical history before or have done any extensive reading on any composer or have read liner notes accompanying recordings that you buy? You know plenty of obscure composers, Andrei. The reason you know is because you have read about them and, therefore, have gained knowledge about them. If you've never heard of the composer or recognize them from the picture provided, then obviously you wouldn't know them or have heard of them, but, usually, the clues provide you with an idea of who the composer is and if you still have no idea, then admit you have no idea and leave it to someone else to guess. Stop using Google to do your work for you is really the bottomline. If you can't do this, then you're obviously cheating and have no desire to rely on your own memory. If I post an image and I don't know who the composer is, guess what I'm going to say? I have no idea who that composer is. Why would I say this? Because I'm not going rely on Google image search to cheat for me and I'm not afraid to say "I don't know." That's the difference here and something that you've failed to understand.

I'm afraid that (1) you took much too seriously what was originally just a game, and (2) you  still don't get what I'm trying, to my best, to make you understand, namely that if I google the picture (which I have done in exactly 3 cases out of them all) or not makes not a iota of difference as long as I refrain from playing and let others play --- which is exactly what I did, anyway. And that's my last word on the whole issue.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 07:27:46 AM
I'm afraid that (1) you took much too seriously what was originally just a game, and (2) you  still don't get what I'm trying, to my best, to make you understand, namely that if I google the picture (which I have done in exactly 3 cases out of them all) or not makes not a iota of difference as long as I refrain from playing and let others play --- which is exactly what I did, anyway. And that's my last word on the whole issue.

I understand what you're saying and wouldn't put up a fight if you hadn't have said this in the past:

Quote from: Florestan on October 26, 2017, 08:00:03 AM
I found him with Google Image Search right away. Had no patience to try to guess him, which would have been impossible anyway.

You clearly admitted to cheating and you'll always remain a cheat in this game. Just because you don't guess who the composer is and not say anything at all doesn't mean you're not cheating. This post of yours is evidence of that.

On this note, I'll leave you with the last word.

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on November 13, 2017, 06:35:53 AM
Look at the bright side of things: compared to this, even Rudolf Tobias would seem to enjoy mega-star status.  ::)

I also googled the image (and immediately stopped playing, of course, as I couldn't even provide any worthwhile clues) and the result was not Galindo, but Ayala. But then the man in the picture you provided for Galindo, Andrei, could well be the man in the picture that John gave us. They wear very similar glasses, and perhaps he just stopped dying his hair  :D

Galindo is in that Brilliant Classics box set of Mexican music John gave as a clue. Ayala, IIRC, is not...

All very, very confusing... ???

I too found Ayala, not Galindo. 
BTW, the indirect connection to Ginastera I hinted at refered to Popul Vuh.   Ayala was of Mayan ancestry.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 07:33:44 AM
You clearly admitted to cheating

I admitted to no such things. You misconstrue my posts to fit your agenda.

and you'll always remain a cheat in this game.

Now you're going too far, buddy. Please control your temper and language. I reject indignantly your false accusation and demand an apology. You might have noticed (or not) that I have never insulted you.

Christo

Quote from: André on November 13, 2017, 06:07:14 AM
The obscurest of the obscure unknown composers... ::)
I don't think so, because even I happen to know Blas Galindo (though of course not as well as Rudolf Tobias  ;D). (It should be noted that there are far less cd recordings available with Galindo's music than those ten or so exclusively dedicated to Tobias, if that's an indication).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Turner

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 06:55:06 AM
Until listener comes with his own riddle, I suggest this (easy) one.

I saw sone Russianness in the picture & thought of maybe either Glazunov or Scriabin in the physical looks; it turned out to be Scriabin.

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on November 13, 2017, 09:17:52 AM
I saw sone Russianness in the picture & thought of maybe either Glazunov or Scriabin in the physical looks; it turned out to be Scriabin.

The Russianness is indeed obvious.  :)

Scriabin is indeed the correct answer.

Turner

A small riddle:

A klingon goes symphonic ... ?

He wrote 5 of them.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 07:33:44 AMYou clearly admitted to cheating and you'll always remain a cheat in this game.
Very sorry, dear John, but: no, Andrei didn't cheat at all. Of course not. Don't understand how this misunderstanding arose, but let's conclude that's what happened.

Quote from: Turner on November 13, 2017, 09:55:08 AMA small riddle:

He wrote 5 of them.
Err, five symphonies: a Briton?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 08:07:20 AM
I admitted to no such things. You misconstrue my posts to fit your agenda.

Now you're going too far, buddy. Please control your temper and language. I reject indignantly your false accusation and demand an apology. You might have noticed (or not) that I have never insulted you.

I'm sorry, Andrei. Not because you demanded it, which I'm not going to obey anyone who demands anything of me, but because I don't want any hard feelings and it's the right thing to do.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on November 13, 2017, 09:55:08 AM
A small riddle:

He wrote 5 of them.

Easy. That's Humphrey Searle. One of those rare British serialists. I remember seeing his photo many years ago and you mentioning how he looks like a Klingon is quite funny. :D

Turner

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 12:40:45 PM
Easy. That's Humphrey Searle. One of those rare British serialists. I remember seeing his photo many years ago and you mentioning how he looks like a Klingon is quite funny. :D
Yes, right, Searle, of course. I don't think we've run out of not-extremely-obscure composers😄

listener

Re Blas GALINDO:  He's one of the more familiar Latin American composer names to me for his Sones de Mariachi, probably his most popular work, well-suited to pops concerts.   I have recording of a couple of other short pieces, also of his Symphony no.2.

Ovsianniko-Kulikovsky and Hilda Tablet are obviously out, so here's someone born on a boat.

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2017, 12:13:19 PM
I'm sorry, Andrei.

Accepted and no hard feelings from my part, John, rest assured. I admit demanding was not the right thing, as you would have done it anyway, but it seems both you and I are sometimes quick-tempered.  :laugh: The good thing is we are also quick to apologize or forgive. So let's just forget about this unfortunate mess and  move on. AFAIC, we're still as friends as we have ever been.  :-* Oh, and I do hope you will keep playing the game.

TD: I know two who died on a boat (okay, technically they drowned, but they were on a boat before that) but none who was born on a boat. Intriguing. I promise won't google him this time. Waiting for the hint(s) instead.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 13, 2017, 11:31:12 PMAccepted and no hard feelings from my part, John, rest assured. I admit demanding was not the right thing, as you would have done it anyway, but it seems both you and I are sometimes quick-tempered.  :laugh: The good thing is we are also quick to apologize or forgive. So let's just forget about this unfortunate mess and  move on. AFAIC, we're still as friends as we have ever been.  :-* Oh, and I do hope you will keep playing the game.

Absolutely, Andrei. Let's put this mess behind us. Yes, we're most definitely friends. That won't change!

kishnevi

I did the Google image thing, so I will drop this hint: he's actually rather well known, but because of another composer and not his own music.