Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

listener

CORRECT!  and I did not have to add "between Honfleur and Le Havre"
the really obvious unedited-out clue would be my file for the picture: pill (= caplet)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Christo

:)  OK, another one: probably the most well-known composer (9 symphonies, 17 concertos) from this nation:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 14, 2017, 11:52:25 PM
:)  OK, another one: probably the most well-known composer (9 symphonies, 17 concertos) from this nation:

Looks like Eshpai.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2017, 05:04:01 AM
Looks like Eshpai.
Not for me to say so but you are definitely right and that is the Mari flag or one of them. Well done! I like Espai's music and I knew that the picture looked familiar but I didn't think of him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: Christo on November 14, 2017, 09:22:15 PM
Nice clue!  ;) André Caplet (1878-1925)

I know some of his music, but didn't know these details  :D.

Le miroir de Jésus is a beautiful work.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2017, 05:04:01 AM
Looks like Eshpai.
Correct: Андре́й Я́ковлевич Эшпа́й or Andrei Yakovlevich Eshpai is a Mari from Mari El Republic and often makes uses of Mari folk music.
In his early years he went to Budapest to meet Kodály, whose research of Finnu-Ugric music, together with Bartók, had brought the Volga Finns to their attention. Their encounter left traces in Esphai's oeuvre. (I met one of Kodály's pupils in Budapest who was an eye-witness and told me these stories, but you can find them in Hungarian music journals, of course.)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 15, 2017, 11:14:31 AM
Correct: Андре́й Я́ковлевич Эшпа́й or Andrei Yakovlevich Eshpai is a Mari from Mari El Republic and often makes uses of Mari folk music.
In his early years he went to Budapest to meet Kodály, whose research of Finnu-Ugric music, together with Bartók, had brought the Volga Finns to their attention. Their encounter left traces in Esphai's oeuvre. (I met one of Kodály's pupils in Budapest who was an eye-witness and told me these stories, but you can find them in Hungarian music journals, of course.)
Symphonies 4 and 5 are especially good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 15, 2017, 08:30:08 AM
Not for me to say so but you are definitely right and that is the Mari flag or one of them. Well done! I like Espai's music and I knew that the picture looked familiar but I didn't think of him.

Yeah, he's a cool composer. I need revisit some of his music. I own all of those Albany recordings. Good stuff.

Quote from: Christo on November 15, 2017, 11:14:31 AM

Yep, I've read a good bit about him. Interesting composer.

Mirror Image

I suppose it's my turn....

Who is this composer? For those that don't know immediately, which I'm sure many won't, I'll be more than happy to provide the clues.

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Clue as to the composer in question: this composer was indebted to Bohuslav Martinu as he became one of his last students and studied with him up until his death in 1959.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2017, 05:33:26 PM
Bingo!

Wikipedia was kind enough to list some of Martinu's students.

Now my turn to pose a portrait

Clue: the Listening thread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 16, 2017, 05:41:35 PM
Wikipedia was kind enough to list some of Martinu's students.

Now my turn to pose a portrait

Clue: the Listening thread.

Judging by what you were listening to over on that thread, Simon Laks. :)

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2017, 05:48:54 PM
Judging by what you were listening to over on that thread, Simon Laks. :)

Bingo back to you....

Mirror Image

Alright, who is this composer: