Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2017, 06:32:47 AMI'm looking for the name of the composer and not the cat.
Henri Sauguet (1901–1989), one of my 'discoveries' in recent years - thanks to you, I guess.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 18, 2017, 10:38:17 AM
Henri Sauguet (1901–1989), one of my 'discoveries' in recent years - thanks to you, I guess.  ;)
Indeed! The composer of the moving 'Expiatoire' Symphony.
Well done.
Over to you Johan.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2017, 11:28:51 AM
Indeed! The composer of the moving 'Expiatoire' Symphony.
...and, very fittingly, of the ballet La Chatte.   ;)

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2017, 11:34:03 AM...and, very fittingly, of the ballet La Chatte.   ;)
Good idea!  :D Another cat-loving mystery composer:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2017, 06:34:18 PM
Could you give us a clue, Johan?
Another leading composer of an emerging national school of music. Wrote symphonies and symphonic poems; the most famous of the latter consisting of eight variations on an original Arabic theme, one them in the form of a 59 part fugue, and considered a 'national musical breakthrough' around WWI.  :)

Florestan

The man looks 100% French to me. Hmmm.....
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2017, 11:14:22 PM
The man looks 100% French to me. Hmmm.....
indeed. A doppelgänger of General de Gaulle?  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2017, 11:34:03 AM
...and, very fittingly, of the ballet La Chatte.   ;)

I've just understood this  ::)

Very nice. :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

GioCar

Quote from: Christo on November 18, 2017, 10:33:48 PM
Another leading composer of an emerging national school of music. Wrote symphonies and symphonic poems; the most famous of the latter consisting of eight variations on an original Arabic theme, one them in the form of a 59 part fugue, and considered a 'national musical breakthrough' around WWI.  :)

Is it Vathek?
If so, he should be Luís de Freitas Branco.
I have a Naxos CD with some of his music, but the variations are only five (+ an introduction, theme, prologue and epilogue)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2017, 11:34:36 PM
indeed. A doppelgänger of General de Gaulle?  ;D

The first name that came to my mind seeing the picture.  :D

Christo

Quote from: GioCar on November 18, 2017, 11:57:32 PM
Is it Vathek?If so, he should be Luís de Freitas Branco.
I have a Naxos CD with some of his music, but the variations are only five (+ an introduction, theme, prologue and epilogue)
He is: older brother of the perhaps - in his time - more famous conductor, Pedro de Freitas Branco.

Lookalike of Generalissimo De Gaulle? I would rather say Clint Eastwood:

GioCar

So my turn

Who is this guy?

ritter

Quote from: GioCar on November 19, 2017, 02:51:44 AM
So my turn

Who is this guy?
I don't know...but, man, does he look angry!  :o

Will you give us a clue, Gio, any clue?  ;)

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 19, 2017, 05:00:52 AM
I don't know...but, man, does he look angry!  :o

Will you give us a clue, Gio, any clue?  ;)
For example: is the man an Italian composer?

Florestan

GioCar

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2017, 08:57:03 AM
He is: Antonio Buzzolla.  :D

Bravo!

Just listened live in concert to his Requiem aeternam and Kyrie from the Messa per Rossini.
Not bad.
Not bad at all.

Florestan

Quote from: GioCar on November 19, 2017, 09:39:30 AM
Bravo!

I was just extremely lucky! I first tried Antonio Bazzini and lo and behold! in the third row, the picture of your man!  :D

My turn then.

Who is this guy?

Mirror Image

Oh dear...could you give us a hint, Andrei? He looks quite familiar.

Florestan

Studied in Leipzig. Besides composing, was also a conductor. He is remembered mostly for his ballets, a genre he pioneered in his country.