Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2017, 09:57:40 AM
Studied in Leipzig. Besides composing, was also a conductor. He is remembered mostly for his ballets, a genre he pioneered in his country.

It has to be a country not really known for ballet since he doesn't look like any of the more famous ballet composers.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 19, 2017, 12:00:07 PM
Dutch + Leipzig = Cornelis Dopper?
Or: Romanian + Leipzig = not Cornelis Dopper (who was from Stadskanaal, of all places  :D)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Romanian + Leipzig + ballet = Mihail Jora!

Mirror Image

Andrei is getting quite obscure. I never heard of Jora before, but I don't know a lot about Romanian music in general.

ritter

It's up to Florestsn to decide whether my answer is right...but, as I'm off to bed, here's a new mystery man:

Clues in 10 hours or so... ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 19, 2017, 12:29:44 PM
Romanian + Leipzig + ballet = Mihail Jora!

Indeed. Well done! Christo deserves some congrats, too.

Have you guys had the chance to listen to any of his music?

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2017, 12:45:10 PM
Andrei is getting quite obscure.

Pot calling the kettle black...  :D  :P

I never heard of Jora before, but I don't know a lot about Romanian music in general.

No problem, many Romanians don't either.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2017, 08:57:16 PM
Have you guys had the chance to listen to any of his music?
Well, yes: I own a cd with 'perennial' Romanian music that features his Suite 'Moldovian Sights'. But for me, his profile was less sharp than that of a number of other Romanian composers - and Ritter had to do the thinking for me.  ;D

ritter

Quote from: ritter on November 19, 2017, 12:54:16 PM
...here's a new mystery man:

Clues in 10 hours or so... ;)
Time for a clue... No, he's not a cabinet minister giving a press conference.  ;)

If you change just the possessive determiner in the title of one of his most important works, you arrive at a title of a posthumous play by Paul Valéry...

Florestan

Henri Pousseur.

Composed Votre Faust on a libretto by Michel Butor. Valery's posthumous play was titled Mon Faust.

Even if I never heard about him, it was too easy, actually --- the hint gave him away: all I had to do was to get a list of Valery's posthumous works and then a list of musical compositions based on Faust's legend.  ;D

I guess it's my turn. Who is this stately gentleman?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2017, 08:57:16 PM
Indeed. Well done! Christo deserves some congrats, too.
He does indeed. Although Christo has a slight advantage over the rest of us as he knows all these composers personally.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 19, 2017, 11:41:16 PM
I guess it's my turn. Who is this stately gentleman?

I'd say it's high time for a clue...any sort of clue.  ;)

Florestan

His music is nothing like his physical appearance which to me is that of a dull, academic bore.

Both his name and surname (the latter was actually a nom de plume) are strongly reminiscent of Romantic heroes, scenery and characters.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 02:56:49 AM
His music is nothing like his physical appearance which to me is that of a dull, academic bore.

Both his name and surname (the latter was actually a nom de plume) are strongly reminiscent of Romantic heroes, scenery and characters.
Might there be a frozen pond in that scenery?  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 05:37:52 AM
Might there be a frozen pond in that scenery?  ;)

Yes, but not large enough.  :D

ritter

In this case the devil will have heard of him!  ;)

Charles Émile Lévy aka Émile Waldteufel...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 06:22:36 AM
In this case the devil will have heard of him!  ;)

Charles Émile Lévy aka Émile Waldteufel...

:D

Composed some of the most beautiful waltzes I know.

Your turn, Rafael.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 06:29:54 AM
:D
Composed some of the most beautiful waltzes I know.
Yes, Les patineurs...a favourite of my grandmother. Not my cup of tea...

Who can this be?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 06:35:38 AM
Yes, Les patineurs...a favourite of my grandmother. Not my cup of tea...

Les patineurs, Estudiantina, Minuit, Dolores... Your grandmother has / had impeccable taste.  8)

Who can this be?

A Frenchman?