Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 06:43:04 AM
Les patineurs, Estudiantina, Minuit, Dolores... Your grandmother has / had impeccable taste.  8)
Had...she's been dead for 40 years now. Quite a character, she was. BTW, she and my then teenage mother got to see Maria Callas as Norma at the Met in 1956. Beat that!  ;D

QuoteA Frenchman?
Ma no! È italiano!  ;)

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

You know I'm too generous with my hints.  ;)

Probably Italy's best-known living music critic has said that this man is the best Italian symphonist of the 20th century (even if he is better remembered--if he's remembered at all--as a conductor).

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

He conducted what is considered a classic recording of a Verdi opera... Can't say which, as that would give him away...

Florestan

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

I'll have to post an image of a composer later on tonight as it's time for work. In the meantime, someone else can post an image in my absence.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2017, 07:56:17 AM
Rafael, this would be Gino Marinuzzi.

John of all people knows obscure Italian operatic conductors, who'd have guessed...  :D

Florestan

Not my turn, but since John gave us his permission to go on, here's another guy.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2017, 07:56:17 AM
Rafael, this would be Gino Marinuzzi.
Gino Marinuzzi it is...His 1943 recording of La Forza del destino with Galliano Massini and Maria Caniglia (on Cetra, now Warner) is considered a classic as far as recordings of Verdi operas go. He also composed operas himself, of which Jacquerie has been recorded  (I've owned the CDs for years). 

Italian critic Paolo Isotta raves (in his book Altri canti di Marte) about Marinuzzi's Symphony in A (from 1942), saying it's only rivalled--in the 20th century--by works of Schoenberg, Szymanowski and Enescu. Isotta is highly opinionated, with likes and dislikes that often appear irrational to me, and can be really catty (to the point of unpleasantness). Still, this symphony might be worth exploring. It's available here:

[asin]B071Y8QCTV[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 08:19:17 AM
Italian critic Paolo Isotta raves (in his book Altri canti di Marte) about Marinuzzi's Symphony in A (from 1942), saying it's only rivalled--in the 20th century--by works of Schoenberg, Szymanowski and Enescu. Isotta is highly opinionated, with likes and dislikes that often appear irrational to me, and can be really catty (to the point of unpleasantness).

Kind of an Italian Hurwitz?  :D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 08:20:58 AM
Kind of an Italian Hurwitz?  :D
Hurwitz is Mother Teresa of Calcutta compared to Isotta.  This is going to sound politically incorrect, but fortunately it's in Spanish: Isotta often just sounds like a "marica mala" when he tries to thrash some artists. His phobia extends to people like Mitsuko Uchida, Pierre Boulez, John Eliot Gardiner, Claudio Abbado, and a long et cet. As we say in Spanish, "no deja títere con cabeza".  :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 08:25:26 AM
Hurwitz is Mother Teresa of Calcutta compared to Isotta.  This is going to sound politically incorrect, but fortunately it's in Spanish: Isotta often just sounds like a "marica mala" when he tries to thrash some artists. His phobia extends to people like Mitsuko Uchida, Pierre Boulez, John Eliot Gardiner, Claudio Abbado, and a long et cet. As we say in Spanish, "no deja títere con cabeza".  :D

:D :D :D

Perhaps he really is? (The m-word, I mean  ;D  )

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 08:32:07 AM
:D :D :D

Perhaps he really is? (The m-word, I mean  ;D  )
Oh yes, he is. Nothing wrong with that, and he does not hide it. One could infer from his writings that had a brief liaison with Dino Ciani.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 08:35:26 AM
Oh yes, he is (nothing wrong with that).

Oh, absolutely.

One could infer from his writing that had a brief liaison with Dino Ciani.

Never knew Ciani was.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.  :laugh:

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 07:54:07 AM
Vittorio Gui?

Isn't that the name of the evil member of the Inquisition (who persecuted Sean Connery) in 'The Name of the Rose'? I didn't know that he was a composer as well.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on November 21, 2017, 09:03:24 AM
Isn't that the name of the evil member of the Inquisition (who persecuted Sean Connery) in 'The Name of the Rose'? I didn't know that he was a composer as well.
8)
Bernard was a real person
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Gui
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on November 21, 2017, 09:10:00 AM
Bernard was a real person
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Gui
How very interesting - thank you.
I had no idea that he was a real person. I suspect that 'William of Baskerville' was, sadly, fictitious however.

Disappointing that Bernard Gui's death appears to not have been as spectacular as that featured in the excellent movie (not the book if I recall correctly) of 'The Name of the Rose'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

A reminder.  :D