Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

The moustache, the collar, a very germanic appearence, maybe even a prussian one.

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on November 21, 2017, 10:32:34 AM
The moustache, the collar, a very germanic appearence, maybe even a prussian one.

You'd be surprised to learn how close and yet how far you are from the truth.  :D (I guess this is a hint).

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

No, but he won a French prize.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2017, 11:33:11 AM
No, but he won a French prize.
Prix de Rome? ? ? I suppose not, as I think it was only awarded to Frenchmen.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 21, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
Prix de Rome? ? ? I suppose not, as I think it was only awarded to Frenchmen.

Not Prix de Rome. A prize sponsored by Le Figaro.

He was born under a monarch and died under a president. He went to study abroad and lived for many years in a city tremendously important for the history of music and other fine arts. He also held diplomatic offices. His music fell out of favor in his country with the advent of a more nationalistic generation.

There, I gave him away.  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 12:16:10 AM
Not Prix de Rome. A prize sponsored by Le Figaro.

He was born under a monarch and died under a president. He went to study abroad and lived for many years in a city tremendously important for the history of music and other fine arts. He also held diplomatic offices. His music fell out of favor in his country with the advent of a more nationalistic generation.

There, I gave him away.  :D

Well, you didn't 'give him away' as far as I'm concerned!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

A well-known and quite large thematic series of recordings features his work (and that of one of his fellow countrymen).

YT has a few of his works in full, including the one that won the aforementioned prize.

Travelling from his country to the city where he lived for many years required in those times more than one transportation mean.

That's it, folks, you have all the elements needed now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 05:01:19 AM
A well-known and quite large thematic series of recordings features his work (and that of one of his fellow countrymen).

YT has a few of his works in full, including the one that won the aforementioned prize.

Travelling from his country to the city where he lived for many years required in those times more than one transportation mean.

Shostakovich! ( only joking  8))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

vandermolen

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 12:16:10 AM
He was born under a monarch and died under a president.

Irish? South African?

Florestan

Mirror Image

I think it's time for me to throw someone out there since I haven't yet done so as I have no idea who Andrei's composer is:

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 05:01:19 AM

I confess to Google search...so I'll throw in a clue of my own.

Although they were not related in any way I know of, he shares his last name with a famous assasin and a minor character in Ivanhoe.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2017, 04:51:49 PM
I think it's time for me to throw someone out there since I haven't yet done so as I have no idea who Andrei's composer is:

I was thinking I know that face, and then realized it was familiar because of a rather striking resemblance to Brad Pitt.

ETA
Asked Google...ah, that's what he looked like.
So my hint is this: almost everyone in GMG knows who he is. And it's not Brad Pitt.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 22, 2017, 06:01:49 PM
I was thinking I know that face, and then realized it was familiar because of a rather striking resemblance to Brad Pitt.

Yes, this was Brad Pitt's great, great, great grandfather, Sir Reginald Pitt. A British composer of marches and had a fetish for big-lipped women. ;)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2017, 06:07:13 PM
Yes, this was Brad Pitt's great, great, great grandfather, Sir Reginald Pitt. A British composer of marches and had a fetish for big-lipped women. ;)

Is he Sergei Taneyev?

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 22, 2017, 08:03:19 PM
Is he Sergei Taneyev?

Bingo! That's correct, sir. Tell 'em what they've won, Johnny. :)

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 02:19:31 PM
Neither.  :D
Brazilan then.  Born when Dom Pedro II was emperor , died during the presidency of Getúlio Vargas. He lived in Florence, served as his country's consul in The Hague and Genoa, and won a competition organized by Le Figaro with  hus piano piece Il neige. His music is represented in Hyperion's "The Romantic Piano Concerto" series.

Henrique  Oswald:)

It's SymphonicAddict's turn, in any case...