Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 04:37:48 AM
Brazilan then.  Born when Dom Pedro II was emperor , died during the presidency of Getúlio Vargas. He lived in Florence, served as his country's consul in The Hague and Genoa, and won a competition organized by Le Figaro with  hus piano piece Il neige. His music is represented in Hyperion's "The Romantic Piano Concerto" series.

Henrique  Oswald:)

It's SymphonicAddict's turn, in any case...
Never heard of him. :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2017, 04:42:53 AM
Me neither, to be honest. The "monarch...president" and "more than one means of transportation" hints led me to Brazil  (once Ireland and South Africa turned to be dead ends) and some research did the rest...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 04:37:48 AM
Brazilan then.  Born when Dom Pedro II was emperor , died during the presidency of Getúlio Vargas. He lived in Florence, served as his country's consul in The Hague and Genoa, and won a competition organized by Le Figaro with  hus piano piece Il neige. His music is represented in Hyperion's "The Romantic Piano Concerto" series.

Henrique  Oswald:)

Bravo!

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2017, 04:42:53 AM

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 04:49:29 AM
Me neither, to be honest. The "monarch...president" and "more than one means of transportation" hints led me to Brazil  (once Ireland and South Africa turned to be dead ends) and some research did the rest...

I stumbled upon his name just a few days ago while reading a Brazilian doctoral dissertation about Romanticism and the small piano pieces.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 04:49:29 AM

Yes, but you showed much more inititative and lateral thinking than I did.

Typing 'composers with handle-bar moustaches' into Google didn't get me very far at all.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Although this is not my turn, I thought I would propose this composer to the GMG sleuths

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on November 23, 2017, 11:29:56 AM
Although this is not my turn, I thought I would propose this composer to the GMG sleuths
Une piste?   ;)

Spineur

This magnificant statue of this composer is in parisian park.  Looking attentively at the statue (not the pedestal which I did blur) should give you an extra hint.

kishnevi

I did Google image search. I will be interested to know (after the mystery is revealed) how you knew of him.

ritter

Quote from: Spineur on November 23, 2017, 12:15:44 PM
This magnificant statue of this composer is in parisian park.  Looking attentively at the statue (not the pedestal which I did blur) should give you an extra hint.
Well, I've figured out who he is using this clue...I've never ever heard of him... :-[

Spineur

I'll wait a bit more, before telling you about all the CDs I have of him.  I just love his music.  BTW, a new banknote with his image has recently been issued. 

vandermolen

Er, excuse me. I got hauled over the coals for submitting a picture when it wasn't my turn. Shouldn't we stick to the rules? By my calculations it should be ritter's turn to submit an image.

ritter

OK...I'll answer Spineur's riddle, and post my picture before going to bed.

Spineur posted a photo of Armenian clergyman, musicologist and composer Komitas Vardapet. Why he has a monument in Paris beats me (apart from the fact that he lived in the city for 26 years, and died there).

My new guy:

Hint: This guy continues a kind of trend I've started with previous postings of mine in this thread. More hints tomorrow morning (European time) if required.

Good night to all!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 01:17:09 PM
OK...I'll answer Spineur's riddle, and post my picture before going to bed.

pineur posted a photo of Armenian clergyman, musicologist and composer Komitas Vardapet. Why he has a monument in Paris beats me (apart from the fact that he lived in the city for 26 years, and died there).

My new guy:

Hint: This guy continues a kind of trend I've started with previous postings of mine in this thread. More hints tomorrow morning (European time) if required.

Good night to all!

He looks like Joly Braga Santos with a mustache.

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Spineur

Spineur posted a photo of Armenian clergyman, musicologist and composer Komitas Vardapet. Why he has a monument in Paris beats me (apart from the fact that he lived in the city for 26 years, and died there).

Soghomon Gevorgi Soghomonian (known as Komitas, his religious name) was a victim of the Armenian genocide.  Arrested and deported, he emigrated to France for his survival and gradually drifted into depression.  Today, the french armenian community represents 1% of the total population exactly as the jewish community.  They are well integrated in France: Edouard Balladur (Balladurian is his real name) was a prime minister in the 90s.  As the jews, they tend to be anti-racist, opponents of National-Front ideologies.  They are concentrated in Marseille, Valence, Lyon and Paris.

There are many concerts of armenian music featuring Komitas composition and there are two dozen of CDs featuring his music.  Armenian music uses 8 different modes, and tends to be poly-modal.  Very interesting.  Here is some of his music from a lovely CD I own.

https://www.youtube.com/v/2HiRVLiMRNk

I discussed armenian music on GMG in a number of posts, trying to draw some interest, apparently without much success

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on November 23, 2017, 08:47:51 PM
Soghomon Gevorgi Soghomonian (known as Komitas, his religious name) was a victim of the Armenian genocide.  Arrested and deported, he emigrated to France for his survival and gradually drifted into depression.  Today, the french armenian community represents 1% of the total population exactly as the jewish community.  They are well integrated in France: Edouard Balladur (Balladurian is his real name) was a prime minister in the 90s.  As the jews, they tend to be anti-racist, opponents of National-Front ideologies.  They are concentrated in Marseille, Valence, Lyon and Paris.

There are many concerts of armenian music featuring Komitas composition and there are two dozen of CDs featuring his music.  Armenian music uses 8 different modes, and tends to be poly-modal.  Very interesting.  Here is some of his music from a lovely CD I own.

https://www.youtube.com/v/2HiRVLiMRNk

I discussed armenian music on GMG in a number of posts, trying to draw some interest, apparently without much success

I know Komitas but came to the party too late.  :D

There is an important Armenian community in Romania, too, and it dates back several centuries.

Other famous French Armenians: Charles Aznavour, Sylvie Vartan, Alain Altinoglu.

Florestan

Hint: This guy continues a kind of trend I've started with previous postings of mine in this thread.

Why, yes: the trend is towards increasing obscurity. Montemezzi, Pousseur, Marinuzzi.   :laugh:

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 23, 2017, 11:08:34 PM
Why, yes: the trend is towards increasing obscurity. Montemezzi, Pousseur, Marinuzzi.   :laugh:
OK...I think very few will have heard music by this man. Yet, collectors of opera may own recordings conducted by him with legendary singers.

An aria from one of his operas has been officially recognized as a sort of alternate national anthem by a country which is not his country of birth.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 11:45:33 PM
his country of birth.

A poetic, even allegoric, hint in this respect would be most welcome.  :D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2017, 12:14:28 AM
A poetic, even allegoric, hint in this respect would be most welcome.  :D
The author of the libretto of that opera wrote the text for an opera by another composer that starts with a "Hymn to the sun"...and many, much more famous libretti.