Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 24, 2017, 12:32:15 AM
The author of the libretto of that opera wrote the text for an opera by another composer that starts with a "Hymn to the sun"...and many, much more famous libretti.

Ladies and gentlemen, I've got'im!

Ettore Panizza (the librettist is Luigi Illica; Inno al sole starts Iris by Mascagni)

But, but... one of your hints is dead wrong. Can you identify it? ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Spineur

Very difficult.  Never heard of his name.  I am still wondering about the alternate national anthem.  For the italian I would have said va pensiero, but that is by a much better known composer !!  :D 

Florestan

Quote from: Spineur on November 24, 2017, 01:00:46 AM
Very difficult.  Never heard of his name.

Never have I, but I quite enjoy the detective work implied in identifying all these obscure names.  :)

I am still wondering about the alternate national anthem. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(opera)

And that's where ritter is wrong: Argentina is Panizza's country of birth.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2017, 01:04:52 AM
Never have I, but I quite enjoy the detective work implied in identifying all these obscure names.  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(opera)

And that's where ritter is wrong: Argentina is Panizza's country of birth.
You are right, and you are right. I always thought Panizza was Italian and emigrated to Argentina.  :-[

Here's that aria / anthem, in the now standard Spanish version:

https://www.youtube.com/v/_6C9Et-JFSM

And some of his recordings with legendary opera singers:

Florestan

My turn. This time an easy one.  :laugh:

Christo

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2017, 01:17:09 PMArmenian clergyman, musicologist and composer Komitas Vardapet. Why he has a monument in Paris beats me (apart from the fact that he lived in the city for 26 years, and died there).
That's already part of the answer; other factors that help explain it are the presence of a very large Armenian community in France and particularly in Paris - and of course the fact that Komitas is a national hero for Armenians in Armenia (3 million; when visiting the country five years ago I saw Komitas everywhere) and over 8 million Armenians living in the Armenian Diaspora - Paris probably being their most important centre. A Komitas statue in Paris looks very 'logical' to me; will take a look on my next trip, thanks for the tip!  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Never heard of Komitas, but I know Tomita  :D.

Sure, there are very obscure names unearthed here, but it depends for whom. Montemezzi is known for his opera (the work itself is famous), and Pousseur is a well-known quantity for modern music fans (widely played and recorded on french labels). If there are reasonably well distributed recordings, I think the search is worth the efforts!

Florestan

Quote from: André on November 24, 2017, 06:51:14 AM
Sure, there are very obscure names unearthed here, but it depends for whom.

That is true. For instance, I've known the guy in my riddle for years, though not that much in his composer guise. For this last instance my hat tip goes to mc ukrneal. Now, if one corroborates this hint with a little search in the most popular GMG thread, one should be able to come up with the name without any supplementary hint.  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2017, 01:16:23 AM
My turn. This time an easy one.  :laugh:

Looks a bit like Percy Grainger but I don't think it is.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2017, 08:56:24 AM
Looks a bit like Percy Grainger but I don't think it is.

Didn't notice that resemblance, which is nevertheless spot on. No, he isn't Grainger.

Mirror Image

SymphonicAddict

Florestan

SymphonicAddict

I suppose it's my turn. Now, try to guess who this guy is.

ritter

Looks like Elliott Carter in mid-age... If so, the picture is very reassuring: you can be s smoker, and live to the age of 103 happily and productively!  :)

Crudblud

I don't think that's Carter. André Jolivet perhaps?

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: ritter on November 25, 2017, 11:09:33 AM
Looks like Elliott Carter in mid-age... If so, the picture is very reassuring: you can be s smoker, and live to the age of 103 happily and productively!  :)

It's kind of similar, but he's not.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Crudblud on November 25, 2017, 11:48:39 AM
I don't think that's Carter. André Jolivet perhaps?

Exactly! It seems it wasn't too difficult. Now it's your turn.

Crudblud

Okay, let's try this fellow.

Florestan