Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 26, 2017, 05:18:11 AM
Benjamin Britten as a 'young person', perhaps?

Nope. :) Okay, you know what? I'll just go ahead and admit that this composer in question is not British. :)

kishnevi

A little digging around Salzburg history produced the image in question.
http://www.gottfried-von-einem.at/english/biography/

The opera being Danton's Tod.

kishnevi

The only initial clue I will give is: he may not be famous, but he is by no means obscure.

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2017, 07:41:53 AM
Rodolphe Kreutzer?

No.
ETA: I'm fairly certain that you have some of his music in your collection, but I don't recall you mentioning him in a while.

kishnevi

Now that I think of it, some people might say he deserves the description "famous".  I suppose it depends on what degree of fame qualifies as "Famous".

kishnevi

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2017, 08:13:14 AM
I knew he looked quite familiar! Hummel!

I found him this  way: certainly in my collection >>> a piano music composer >>> given the attire, an early romantic >>> first name to come to my mind: Hummel.  :D
Saw his home - now the composer's museum - in Bratislava (formerly Pozsony or, for Hummel, Pressburg. It was a nice time capsule, AFAI remember.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Sorry, I removed my edited post because double-checking the image I posted I realized it was not whom I thought him to be.

This is the right picture. Who is he?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 26, 2017, 07:33:38 AM
A little digging around Salzburg history produced the image in question.
http://www.gottfried-von-einem.at/english/biography/

The opera being Danton's Tod.

Yep, that's the one. :) Of course, without our ability to research things on the fly through the internet, no one would have probably guessed the composer. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 26, 2017, 08:34:05 AM
Yep, that's the one. :) Of course, without our ability to research things on the fly through the internet, no one would have probably guessed the composer. :)

Nor would you have probably found Richard Meale.  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2017, 08:36:01 AM
Nor would you have probably found Richard Meale.  :laugh:

Hah! Probably true, although I do have a recording that shows Richard Meale's photo. :)

Christo

I recognized this moustache immediately - but it took me some time to realize it belongs to Humperdinck, a composer I hardly know, except for his first name - Engelbert is also featuring in my mother's family - and Hänsel und Gretel.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Christo

My turn again. ;D His grandfather was a famous folk singer and himself also wrote folk music, but earned his income as a marble carver, this grandson continued some of these family traditions:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 26, 2017, 10:32:12 AM
My turn again. ;D His grandfather was a famous folk singer and himself also wrote folk music, but earned his income as a marble carver, this grandson continued some of these family traditions:

I'm not sure of the composer's history, but it looks like Skalkottas to me.

kishnevi

Quote from: Christo on November 26, 2017, 09:48:07 AM
I recognized this moustache immediately - but it took me some time to realize it belongs to Humperdinck, a composer I hardly know, except for his first name - Engelbert is also featuring in my mother's family - and Hänsel und Gretel.

Oh, you mean this guy

:laugh:

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 26, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
I'm not sure of the composer's history, but it looks like Skalkottas to me.
He is. Your turn again!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 26, 2017, 09:15:08 PM
He is. Your turn again!  :)

Alright, who is this composer:

Florestan