Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 05:02:38 AM
Hint, please.  :)

Alright...

Despite coming from a country that doesn't have a strong classical tradition, this composer became the most influential composer in his country's history, but he also became recognized internationally as being a leading musical representative for his country.

ritter

Looked for Australia...zip!...for new Zealand...zip!...and for Canada...bingo! Harry Somers it is...I've never heard of him..

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2017, 05:28:02 AM
Looked for Australia...zip!...for new Zealand...zip!...and for Canada...bingo! Harry Somers it is...I've never heard of him..

You beat me by an inch...  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Ha!

Well, Mirror Image permitting, I'm back to my usual antics:

Very much in line with the trend I started some weeks ago, and one additional HUGE coincidence with previous names.  :D

Florestan

Let me guess: more famous as a conductor than a composer?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 05:52:06 AM
Let me guess: more famous as a conductor than a composer?
Indeed... but there's also another HUGE coincidence...  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2017, 05:55:11 AM
Indeed... but there's also another HUGE coincidence...  :)

He's born in Argentina but you always thought he actually immigrated there?  :laugh:

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 05:56:43 AM
He's born in Argentina but you always thought he actually immigrated there?  :laugh:
No...in the names...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2017, 05:57:42 AM
No...in the names...

Aha!... Italo or Gino, I don't think so... otoh, Hector... let's see.  :laugh:

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 05:58:56 AM
Aha!... Italo or Gino, I don't think so... otoh, Hector... let's see.  :laugh:
No...not in those names...

Florestan

Yeah, I had a second thought about that. Now, what's Montemezzi in French? Entremont, perhaps? But Philippe is just a conductor. No, wait, it's actually his father, right? I haven't been able to find his name, though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2017, 05:28:02 AM

Yep, he's the one!

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 06:07:15 AM
Yeah, I had a second thought about that. Now, what's Montemezzi in French? Entremont, perhaps? But Philippe is just a conductor. No, wait, it's actually his father, right? I haven't been able to find his name, though.
Cold, cold...

This man wrote an opera based on a (then) famous late 18th century novel, and two concertos for orchestra named after his family's estate in the outskirts of...(I will not give the name of the town)... But he's much better known as a conductor (having held a very prestigious post, just before a very famous conductor was appointed top it).

Florestan

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 06:18:32 AM
Yes but what a great failure, ain't it?  :laugh:
Yes...

The coincidence is with three names...a trend, more than a coincidence... ;)

Florestan

Florestan

Gianandrea Gavazzeni? Concerto bergamasco?

kishnevi

Hmmm...I did the Google image search thing and found someone who has a double z in his name but going by the Wikipedia biography does not match any of the other clues you give.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2017, 06:34:55 AM
Gianandrea Gavazzeni? Concerto bergamasco?
Gianandrea Gavazzeni...Concerti di Cinquandò (there's actually three of those, not two--apologies--). Cinquandò is the family's estate near Bergamo.  His opera is Paolo e Virginia, based on Bernardin de Saint-Pierre's novel. Gavazzeni gave up composing in 1949, realizing that his music was out of synch with his times. He (reluctantly) conducted some of his music very late in his life (in the early 90s IIRC); none of it has been recorded AFAIK.

He was, of course, a prestigious conductor of Italian opera, and was artistic director of La Scala for a couple of years in the mid-60s, having been succeeded by Claudio Abbado. He has the distinction of being one of 4 men who have been posthumously honoured with a performance of the funeral march from the Eroica played in the empty opera house with the doors open. First came Toscanini in 1957--conducted by Victor de Sabata--, then de Sabata himself in 1967--with no conductor--, Gavazzeni in 1996--conducted by Riccardo Muti, and Abbado in 2014--conducted by Barenboim). It's a rather nice tradition, I'd say. EDIT:It's actually 5 men who have been honoured this way; Carlo Maria Giulini received this posthumous homage in 2005 (the conductor was Myung Whun Chung on that occasion).

Gavazzeni was also a prolific and insightful writer on music.