He was koniglich not kaiserlich.

(I did the Google Image Search).

vandermolen

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 01, 2017, 04:18:50 PM
I'll drop a hint:
He was koniglich not kaiserlich.

(I did the Google Image Search).
Any more clues?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2017, 12:14:03 AM
Any more clues?

He was one of the earliest musical nationalists. He composed mostly for the piano. One of his works, a cycle of short pieces, has something in common with similar compositions by Schumann and Debussy.

A well-known label has recorded five discs dedicated to his music.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

I give up  :( ... Looked him up...Makes my "zz" Italians appear like the most widely played, admired and loved composers ever...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 04, 2017, 01:07:22 AM
I give up  :( ... Looked him up...Makes my "zz" Italians appear like the most widely played, admired and loved composers ever...

If I were John, I'd certainly boast about getting everybody stumped.  :laugh:

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2017, 12:39:59 AM
He was one of the earliest musical nationalists. He composed mostly for the piano. One of his works, a cycle of short pieces, has something in common with similar compositions by Schumann and Debussy.

A well-known label has recorded five discs dedicated to his music.

Thanks Andrei but think I'm going to have to give up too.

Post a photo of Miaskovsky next time.  ;)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

vandermolen

Florestan

So be it. Who is this guy?

vandermolen

Turner

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2017, 07:16:12 AM
So be it. Who is this guy?

Is it roughly Central Europe? There´s not much Italian or French grace in that portrait ...

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2017, 07:45:35 AM
Oh no!

And yet this one is easy.

He shares the name with two giants of music, one active in his own domain.

The first two syllables of his surname form half the title of a famous opera (which despite being famous, pretty much nobody could name a single aria, ensemble or chorus, let alone hum them).

vandermolen

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on December 04, 2017, 08:43:02 AM
Errrr, late 20th Century, Latin American, probably female ....  8)

There is one word in the above sequence which applies, actually.  :D

vandermolen

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2017, 08:30:08 AM
And yet this one is easy.

He shares the name with two giants of music, one active in his own domain.

The first two syllables of his surname form half the title of a famous opera (which despite being famous, pretty much nobody could name a single aria, ensemble or chorus, let alone hum them).

I'll give two clues, one of which is a correction of Andrei's.

The opera is not famous, but the overture is.

This is another entry in Andrei's Book of Obscure Composers Whose Names Have A Double ZZ In The Middle.

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 04, 2017, 06:46:46 PM
This is another entry in Andrei's Book of Obscure Composers Whose Names Have A Double ZZ In The Middle.

Time for me to correct you: it's my first entry, actually. The expert on the topic is ritter:laugh: