Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

Quote from: ritter on December 05, 2017, 12:22:13 PM
Indeed. Well done!  :) And the Albert Camus hint was a reference to Blomdahl's ballet Sisyphos (which, by chance, as a very young man I saw a rehearsal of in Lucerne in 1975 under IIRC Antal Dorati).

oh, I see, didn´t have the possibility to check the quotes at first, since I just had my mobile phone.

Turner

Quote from: Turner on December 05, 2017, 10:17:52 AM

In stead, it will be this experimental composer:

Hint: her most well-known work is an orchestral piece lasting less than 9 minutes and dealing with autumn etc.

vandermolen

Quote from: Turner on December 05, 2017, 09:25:02 PM
Hint: her most well-known work is an orchestral piece lasting less than 9 minutes and dealing with autumn etc.
Any more clues?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: Turner on December 05, 2017, 09:25:02 PM
I gather from the paraphernalia in the picture that this lady might be American, but cannot progress any further from there... ::) :-[

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 02:11:01 AM
I gather from the paraphernalia in the picture that this lady might be American, but cannot progress any further from there... ::) :-[

Did the Google Image trick. She was quite well-connected to modernist celebrities, including one of your heroes.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Turner

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 02:11:01 AM
Indeed, some Polish connections too ...

ritter

Quote from: Turner on December 07, 2017, 02:20:00 AM
Indeed, some Polish connections too ...
Oh! By pure chance, I remembered that in this CD (which I got for the Boulez and Dallapiccola works it includes)...

...also had  a piece by a female composer with a Polish sounding name (I remembered her given name, Lucia, not more than that). I must confess I haven't listened to that piece, but it turns out she is our mystery woman: Lucia Dlugoszewski...

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2017, 02:16:07 AM
Did the Google Image trick. She was quite well-connected to modernist celebrities, including one of your heroes.
To Reynaldo Hahn? ? ? ? ?  ??? How strange!  :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 02:42:18 AM

No, I actually meant Telemann...  :laugh:

Turner

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 02:42:18 AM
Oh! By pure chance, I remembered that in this CD (which I got for the Boulez and Dallapiccola works it includes)...

...also had  a piece by a female composer with a Polish sounding name (I remembered her given name, Lucia, not more than that). I must confess I haven't listened to that piece, but it turns out she is our mystery woman: Lucia Dlugoszewski...
Yes, I think that is a classic and fascinating work by her. Your turn!

ritter

OK...here goes.

Who's this fellow?

First hint: these understated clothes bear little relation to his usual demeanour or his scores.  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 03:10:19 AM
OK...here goes.

Who's this fellow?

First hint: these understated clothes bear little relation to his usual demeanour or his scores.  ;)

Looks American?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 08, 2017, 12:59:07 AM
Looks American?
If he were American, I'd be going against my own trend, wouldn't I?  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2017, 03:10:19 AM

Sylvano Bussoti?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2017, 01:07:33 AM
Sylvano Bussoti?
Wow! That was quick...

Here his more flamboyant, younger self (next to Cathy Berberian):

...and one of his wacky graphic scores:

Your turn, Andrei!

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 08, 2017, 01:12:52 AM
Wow! That was quick...

Here his more flamboyant, younger self (next to Cathy Berberian):

One can instantly tell his orientation, if you know what I mean...  :laugh:

...and one of his wacky graphic scores:

You mean to tell us that somebody can play that?  :o

Your turn, Andrei!

Who's this dashing young man? (the hint is the image itself)

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2017, 01:28:44 AM
One can instantly tell his orientation, if you know what I mean...  :laugh:

You mean to tell us that somebody can play that?  :o
That has nothing on Ferneyhough ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on December 08, 2017, 01:46:52 AM
That has nothing on Ferneyhough ;)

At least in Ferneyhough there are clearly recognizable notes. Bussoti's score looks rather like of one of my son's scribblings.  :laugh:

I admit, though, that subito piu intimo can give the violinist a big headscratching, even a big headache.  ;D

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2017, 01:28:44 AMWho's this dashing young man? (the hint is the image itself)

Saint-Saens of course!

Florestan