Identify that composer's PICTURE game!

Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

No guesses as to whom my composer in question is?

He's a more well-known composer from a country that has only in more recent years begun to get some recognition for their contributions to music.

Spineur

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spineur on December 09, 2017, 02:37:53 PM
Estonian composer ? Andrus Kallatsu ?

Nope. Nowhere near any of the Baltic States.

Christo

Quote from: André on December 09, 2017, 05:05:24 AM
Now, I know it's not my turn (l'm always stumped, as MI says :D), but this one should be fairly easy to discover.
Hint: none, cause the picture speaks for itself!

Onutė Narbutaitė?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on December 09, 2017, 03:59:30 PM
Onutė Narbutaitė?

Nope, I already guessed correctly. It's Karin Rehnqvist even though my correct answer hasn't been acknowledged by Andre yet. ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 09, 2017, 10:48:37 AM
No guesses as to whom my composer in question is?

He's a more well-known composer from a country that has only in more recent years begun to get some recognition for their contributions to music.

This guy, I think....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pehr_Henrik_Nordgren

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 09, 2017, 08:30:02 PM
This guy, I think....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pehr_Henrik_Nordgren

Doesn't fit in the hints at all: "a country that has only in more recent years begun to get some recognition for their contributions to music" and "nowhere near the Baltic states".

He's probably an obscure Australian or New Zealander.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Turner

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 09, 2017, 07:15:52 AM
My turn I suppose: who is this composer?

I tried some Icelandic ones, both known and lesser known.

There´s a resemblance to Haflidi Hallgrimsson,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafli%C3%B0i_Hallgr%C3%ADmsson ,
though the exact photo doesn´t pop up.

Plus: the fingerring is the same, he feels a connection to it, it seems.

Fun fact: "In 1970, Hallgrímsson played the (uncredited) cello solo in the Atom Heart Mother (suite) from Pink Floyd."

I´ve got his Poemi for Violin & String Orchestra, an attractive piece, in two recordings.

Turner

I´ll be off for some of the day, but in order to make this one a little more difficult, the portrait photo has been cut a bit.

This composer created a gigantic work, especially as regards music, but also in other artistic genres.

You are welcome to continue the quizz, when he has been guessed, in case I´m not able to verify immediately.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 09, 2017, 04:12:09 PM
Nope, I already guessed correctly. It's Karin Rehnqvist even though my correct answer hasn't been acknowledged by Andre yet. ;)

I'm back home and awake  :D. Yes, it's Rehnqvist. As Trump would say: How d'you find her ? Did you use trickery ?  ;D

I heartily recommend this disc:

Turner

Haven´t heard of Rehnqvist actually. As regards composers born after say 1940, my knowledge gets somewhat less dense. But she sounds interesting, and inspired by Nordic culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karin_Rehnqvist
http://karin-rehnqvist.se/English/rehnqvistcompositions.html

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 10, 2017, 04:10:24 AM
I'm back home and awake  :D. Yes, it's Rehnqvist. As Trump would say: How d'you find her ? Did you use trickery ?  ;D

Never heard of her - sounds very interesting, however.
What's the music like Andre?
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on December 10, 2017, 12:31:15 AM
I tried some Icelandic ones, both known and lesser known.

There´s a resemblance to Haflidi Hallgrimsson,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafli%C3%B0i_Hallgr%C3%ADmsson ,
though the exact photo doesn´t pop up.

Plus: the fingerring is the same, he feels a connection to it, it seems.

Fun fact: "In 1970, Hallgrímsson played the (uncredited) cello solo in the Atom Heart Mother (suite) from Pink Floyd."

I´ve got his Poemi for Violin & String Orchestra, an attractive piece, in two recordings.

Yes, indeed. Hallgrímsson it is!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on December 10, 2017, 12:40:34 AM
I´ll be off for some of the day, but in order to make this one a little more difficult, the portrait photo has been cut a bit.

This composer created a gigantic work, especially as regards music, but also in other artistic genres.

You are welcome to continue the quizz, when he has been guessed, in case I´m not able to verify immediately.

This would be Niels Viggo Bentzon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 10, 2017, 04:10:24 AM

Yep, I used Google trickery. :)

Turner

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on December 09, 2017, 11:47:02 PM
Doesn't fit in the hints at all: "a country that has only in more recent years begun to get some recognition for their contributions to music" and "nowhere near the Baltic states".

He's probably an obscure Australian or New Zealander.  :laugh:

Actually I tried Iceland first, but the few images I found didn't seem to match.  So Kudos to Turner for having better eyes. 

André

Quote from: vandermolen on December 10, 2017, 07:21:28 AM
Never heard of her - sounds very interesting, however.
What's the music like Andre?
:)

I'll pull the Rehnqvist discs I have and give them a listen tomorrow !

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 10, 2017, 12:52:19 PM
I'll pull the Rehnqvist discs I have and give them a listen tomorrow !
Ok thanks Andre.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I suppose it's my turn to post a photo...who is this composer?