Started by Rhymenoceros, October 09, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on December 17, 2017, 12:05:36 PM
Do you google the hints or the picture itself?  ;D

Save the photo and then upload it during an Google image search. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 17, 2017, 12:32:38 PM
Save the photo and then upload it during an Google image search. :)

That's not quite kosher, my friend. Google the hints, if there are any. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on December 17, 2017, 09:04:32 PM
That's not quite kosher, my friend. Google the hints, if there are any. :)

There's no pleasing you, Andrei. First, you tell me that you use Google image search and that it's "just a game" and now you're telling me that the very thing that you do yourself isn't acceptable? ??? I say pick a stance and go with it.

Mirror Image

Anyway...my turn:

Who is this composer?

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2017, 06:41:55 AM
There's no pleasing you, Andrei. First, you tell me that you use Google image search and that it's "just a game" and now you're telling me that the very thing that you do yourself isn't acceptable? ??? I say pick a stance and go with it.

But, John, my stance was absolutely clear from the start. There are two different things one can do: (1) google the picture itself directly, or (2) google the hints offered. In the few instances I did (1), I kept my mouth shut about who the composer is and let others guess him. When I guessed a composer it was always by doing (2). So there.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on December 18, 2017, 06:54:24 AM
But, John, my stance was absolutely clear from the start. There are two different things one can do: (1) google the picture itself directly, or (2) google the hints offered. In the few instances I did (1), I kept my mouth shut about who the composer is and let others guess him. When I guessed a composer it was always by doing (2). So there.  :)

Okay, well that's good, but I'm still going to use Google image search and blurt out who the composer is every chance I get. :) I don't really give a crap --- it's a game. The best way to play this game is actually in-person and since we can't do that, I'm going to use all the resources I can to get me the correct answer.

Mirror Image

Ken B

Best guess for this image: David del Tredici

I figured I'd skip the now superfluous step of posting an actual picture and just post the google answer.

Ken B

OK, name the composer.
Hint: this is not the composer.

vandermolen

The only two I've got right are Howells and Ivanovs - as I recognised them and like their music.

Unlike the rest of you I do not hire a group of independent internet researchers to do my work for me.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Neither do I. This game is dead. Adios.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2017, 12:40:38 AMUnlike the rest of you I do not hire a group of independent internet researchers to do my work for me.
8)

Quote from: André on December 19, 2017, 04:09:49 AM
Neither do I. This game is dead. Adios.

And this point was actually my point from the very beginning. You either know the composer in question or you do not. Relying on Google trickery to give you the answers is not 'playing fair' in my book. This is why I started using Google, because I felt that certain members here were not playing fairly, so I wanted to show them how doing what they were doing is not, again, playing fairly. It totally zaps the fun right out of the game.

Anyway, I'm with Andre --- this game is dead. Ciao everyone!

kishnevi

The game has been a nice learning experience for me.  The problem comes only when the image is posted with no real hints to help.

Here's one.

The composer is depicted with the instrument with which he appeared as a concert performer in his teens, but the music for which he is celebrated is in a totally different field.

His birth name was not quite the one he used as an adult.

I saw no definite statement on the subject, but it's quite likely that his family knew that of Felix Mendelssohn, who was born a number of years after he was born.

kishnevi

And a final hint

This was his mom.