Pleased to be here

Started by Malx, October 10, 2017, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malx

Hi, I'm Malx.

Probably best decribed as  a refugee from the  Uk & US Amazon forums that have recently been closed down. In my search for an alternative home I have alighted here.
Hopefully there will a lot of interesting threads to follow and contribute to - but please not too many recommended recordings folks as the bank balance has suffered enough over the years and shelves are creaking under the weigh of CDs amassed upon them.

Looking forward to a long and interesting stay.

Malx.

Spineur

Quote from: Malx on October 10, 2017, 12:10:59 PM
Hi, I'm Malx.

Probably best decribed as  a refugee from the  Uk & US Amazon forums that have recently been closed down. In my search for an alternative home I have alighted here.
Hopefully there will a lot of interesting threads to follow and contribute to - but please not too many recommended recordings folks as the bank balance has suffered enough over the years and shelves are creaking under the weigh of CDs amassed upon them.

Looking forward to a long and interesting stay.

Malx.
A warm GMG welcome from France.  Never tried the Amazon forums before so I cant compare, but there are quite a few compusive CD collectors here.  However, there is no need to imitate them.

bhodges

Welcome, Malx! And yes, as Spineur notes, lots to discuss, and no need to drain one's bank account!  8) In any case, have a good time here.

--Bruce

Hollywood

Howdy Malx. Greetings from Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

mc ukrneal

Welcome! I'm afraid the bank account is always at risk as long as there are new cds to be found! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Welcome!

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 10, 2017, 10:45:33 PM
Welcome! I'm afraid the bank account is always at risk as long as there are new cds to be found! :)

To this, many of us can attest  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

A warm welcome from the home town of the best hockey team ever !  ;)

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard, Maix! There seems to be several members of the Amazon forums joining us, we'll gladly take you in. :) By the way, who are some of your favorite composers?

arpeggio

Welcome.  Of all of the internet forums I participate is this is my favorite.

kyjo

Welcome and enjoy your time here :) Are you a cellist? I am, and I noticed your avatar.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

Quote from: kyjo on October 11, 2017, 08:38:05 PM
Welcome and enjoy your time here :) Are you a cellist? I am, and I noticed your avatar.

There's always room for cello  ;)

Malx

Thanks for all the welcomes much appreciated.

Kyjo - I am not a cellist, sadly I play no instrument, but if I could the cello would be my choice.
I love its range and its ability to convey emotions with such beauty of tone. Yet it can also be solid and fierce when the music requires - a versatile instrument indeed.

Mirror Image - you asked who are some of my favourite composers - I suspect like most who post the list is long, varied, and changeable but a few that never wander far from the top are J.S. Bach, Mahler, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams and at this moment in time Vagn Holmboe.

kyjo

Quote from: Malx on October 12, 2017, 12:20:15 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes much appreciated.

Kyjo - I am not a cellist, sadly I play no instrument, but if I could the cello would be my choice.
I love its range and its ability to convey emotions with such beauty of tone. Yet it can also be solid and fierce when the music requires - a versatile instrument indeed.

Mirror Image - you asked who are some of my favourite composers - I suspect like most who post the list is long, varied, and changeable but a few that never wander far from the top are J.S. Bach, Mahler, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams and at this moment in time Vagn Holmboe.

Indeed, the cello is such a versatile instrument.

You have good taste in music, my friend :) Great to see that you're familiar with Holmboe - an underappreciated 20th century master symphonist IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: Malx on October 12, 2017, 12:20:15 PMMirror Image - you asked who are some of my favourite composers - I suspect like most who post the list is long, varied, and changeable but a few that never wander far from the top are J.S. Bach, Mahler, Nielsen, Vaughan Williams and at this moment in time Vagn Holmboe.

That's an outstanding list of composers! I hope you enjoy your time here. A fellow member, aligreto, is currently undergoing listening to all of Holmboe's symphonies. Something I should do again myself, but I probably should listen to his SQs first since I haven't heard any of those yet. 8)

Ebor1

André

Welcome Ebor. You're piggybacking on Malx's welcome thread. No harm done, but you'll have to give us a proper introduction (we're a bunch of curious people here  ;D).

Malx

Quote from: Ebor1 on October 13, 2017, 04:10:42 AM
Just signed up...

Good to see you managed to find a seat on our lifeboat Ebor I look forward to hear what you have been listening to whilst preparing breakfast in the very near future ;D

aligreto

Welcome aboard. There are many branches here where you can roost safely and securely  :)

Ebor1

Quote from: André on October 13, 2017, 06:32:48 AM
Welcome Ebor. You're piggybacking on Malx's welcome thread. No harm done, but you'll have to give us a proper introduction (we're a bunch of curious people here  ;D).

Andre - I had already opened a thread to introduce myself, my comment on this thread was just to let Malx know I had made it across... apologies if I was upsetting some internal etiquette here...

André

Sof course not, I Washington just joking  :)