Author Topic: William Byrd's Perch  (Read 9789 times)

Offline DaveF

Re: William Byrd's Perch
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
anyone knows when the box set is due? :D

That's a fair question; the Cardinall's Fayrfax and Ludford boxes appeared fairly quickly after the completions of the series (the former, to the despair of completists, including a newly-authenticated piece not on the original discs), but no sign of any Byrd box 5 years on.  I guess that the fact of the series being split between two labels (ASV and Hyperion) might cause problems.  Or perhaps sales are just holding up well enough to make it worth keeping it on individual discs.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 01:49:42 AM »
I guess that the fact of the series being split between two labels (ASV and Hyperion) might cause problems.

That must be it, usually a BIG stumbling block....I didn't realize... ::)
But they better figure something out toghether, because NO way that I am going to collect a 14 disc completetely finished series at full price in this day and age! ???  :D

Q

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Is the complete Byrd actually finished? I can't find eructavit cor meum (a gradual) for example (but I could have easily overlooked it.)

Gavin Turner's disc arrived today, DaveF recommended it. That's why I started looking foreructavit for meum. The Turner recording sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:34:41 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline DaveF

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
Is the complete Byrd actually finished? I can't find eructavit cor meum

Eructavit is one of those transferrable units that turns up in a number of different places - it's the verse of the introits of Mass for:

The Annunciation/Lady Mass during Christmas (Vultum tuum deprecabuntur)
The Assumption of the BVM (Gaudeamus omnes in Domino)
The Nativity of the BVM/Lady Mass during Paschal Time (Salve sancta parens)

so you can hear it a total of (I think) 4 times on the Cardinall's discs - on nos. 8, 10 and twice on 12.  It doesn't get a track to itself because it isn't a stand-alone piece; the Gavin Turner recording gives it one so that you can programme it into the various required combinations.

So yes, the Cardinall's edition is exhaustively complete, in that the music for all the feasts is presented in full, even when it means duplicating pieces.  (Even they don't get it quite right, since they perform Salve sancta parens on Disc 12 with Alleluias which, as part of Mass for the Nativity of the BVM, it shouldn't have; you'd think that Our Lady would deserve a quick Alleluia on her birthday, but nope.)

Of course, the "complete" edition only includes the Latin sacred music.  It's sad to read the booklet notes to volume 1, written when the plan was still to make it a true "Opera omnia".  I think, apart from time and money (it took nearly 15 years to produce the 13 volumes), Andrew Carwood came to feel that the Cardinall's were not the best group to do the English music, especially the songbooks.  Sadly, no-one else seems interested in tackling it in any sort of comprehensive way either.

DF

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:54 PM »
Oh my goodness! I can see that keeping track of Byrd's music is a complicated business!

I've been listening to Vol 7 of Cardinall's Musick, which seems a great success, heartfelt and melancholy motets from Cantiones Sacrae and energetic Gradualia for a contrast. I think that this and vol 10 would be great places to start for anyone thinking of dipping in to the set.

The music is very good indeed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:23:21 AM by Mandryka »

Offline DaveF

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:08 AM »
NO way that I am going to collect a 14 disc completetely finished series at full price in this day and age! ???  :D

Most of them can be got fairly cheaply from Amazon MP or eBay - I can see volume 1 on am.uk at the moment for £2.49, for example.  Anyway, it took me 15 full-price years to collect the lot - you gotta suffer for great art (he said, moving aside piles of yet-to-be-listened-to bargain boxes on desk so as to see what he's typed...)

I've been listening to Vol 7 of Cardinall's Musick, which seems a great success, heartfelt and melancholy motets from Cantiones Sacrae and energetic Gradualia for a contrast. I think that this and vol 10 would be great places to start for anyone thinking of dipping in to the set.

The music is very good indeed.

Yes, agree totally, especially about vol.7.  This is going to sound pretentious, but I'll say it anyway: one of the Matthews brothers (David or Colin, I forget which) remarked once that he was afraid to listen to Mahler 6 because it might give him a heart attack, and Tristitia et anxietas falls almost into that category for me.  Oddly enough, volume 6 seems to spend the most time on my turntable, or whatever the virtual equivalent is, even though over half of it is Passion plainchant (only chance in the set actually to hear Andrew Carwood sing), because it also includes the Easter Mass and the incomparable Plorans plorabit.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »

When I said that I had all CM's Byrd, I was forgetting that I didn't have vol 9, which is rare for some mysterious reason. Anyway the good news is that it's just been uploaded on symphonyshare so I have it now, and jolly good it is too - very cheerful! Mostly Gradualia but also a nice performance of a Magnificat and Ave Verum Corpus.

Who else besides Byrd composed polyphonic music for the Graduals? On all the mass performances I can think of they're in plainsong.

I'm toying with the idea of getting Kerry McCarthy's book on the gradualia. Does anyone think that would be a mistake?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:20:44 AM by Mandryka »

Offline DaveF

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
vol 9, which is rare for some mysterious reason.
So it is - no sign on any of the amazons.

Who else besides Byrd composed polyphonic music for the Graduals?
Well, Palestrina, of course, and no doubt Guerrero, whom I've heard described as the most prolific composer of all time.

I'm toying with the idea of getting Kerry McCarthy's book on the gradualia. Does anyone think that would be a mistake?
No, not unless you were going for the $566 copy on amazon.  She's immensely illuminating, frighteningly intelligent, takes nothing for granted and writes like an angel.  If you're thinking of this one, does that mean you already have her "Byrd" volume in the Master Musicians series? - similarly recommendable.

Offline DaveF

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2016, 05:32:40 AM »
Having a splurge on consort songs at the moment, the area of Byrdie's output that I know least well (not helped by their rather patchy coverage on disc).  Bought in the last couple of days:

The second of these is, I have to say, really terrible, but includes (afaik) the only recordings of a couple of items.  But the first makes up for everything - one of Dame Emma's own favourite recordings, silly prices for the physical disc, but reasonable as a Qobuz download.