A lurker from Amazon

Started by kenpat, October 11, 2017, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenpat

With the sad news that the discussion boards at Amazon are closing I'm following where so many others from there are going.
I can lurk here just as well.
So Malx will still cost me money.

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! GMG will be glad to take in all of the Amazon forum refugees. ;) Anyway, who are some of your favorite composers?

arpeggio

Welcome.  Of all of the music forums I participate this is my favorite.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Hollywood

Howdy kenpat. Greetings from a SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt. Welcome to the forum.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Karl Henning

Quote from: kenpat on October 11, 2017, 01:17:46 PM
With the sad news that the discussion boards at Amazon are closing I'm following where so many others from there are going.
I can lurk here just as well.
So Malx will still cost me money.

Risk cannot be completely avoided.

Welcome to GMG!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roasted Swan

Did Amazon set sail with enough lifeboats to rescue all us lurkers.  The iceberg of the end of Amazon forums is just 1 day away now so let the singing of "abide with me" start now.  PS:  do you have to do the verification EVERY time you post!?

bhodges

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 12, 2017, 06:27:11 AM
Did Amazon set sail with enough lifeboats to rescue all us lurkers.  The iceberg of the end of Amazon forums is just 1 day away now so let the singing of "abide with me" start now.  PS:  do you have to do the verification EVERY time you post!?

Hello, Roasted Swan, and welcome. The verification here is only for your initial post. It's a method devised by GMG's owner, Rob Lang, to help prevent spam accounts from registering.

So now you can post freely! Also if you like, feel free to tell everyone a little about yourself -- what part of the world you're in, what you like to listen to, etc.

Welcome again.

--Bruce

Roasted Swan

Thankyou Bruce.  I'm based in the South of England.  I've been a professional musician all my working life - so my excuse for Obsessive CD Collecting Disorder is that its all tax deductible!  I've worked a lot in Musical Theatre too as an MD and player so I'm very keen on that as a genre as well.  Years ago I worked for an Italian opera house - great days working with some astounding singers.  Sitting next to Christa Ludwig singing Mahler 2 is probably the highlight although Katia Ricciarelli and Mirella Freni weren't bad either....(!)

Malx

Kenpat:
I haven't found a "Heads up" thread yet - so you might be safe  ;)
I've finally got round to buying the last Anner Bylsma box - I believe you bought wholesale a while back!

Malx

Glad to see you managed to get a seat in the lifeboat Roasted.
Christa Ludwig in Mahler 2 you never mentioned that before that I recall - I've just turned a remarkable shade of green with envy.

Roasted Swan

We did nine performances of the Resurrection Symphony in something like 12 days(!) with a double sized orchestra so I was sitting at the front of the 2nd bank of 1st violins - so literally about 6 feet from where Ludwig sat.  She had charisma just sitting there sucking on a mint before she sang!  The conductor was Gunter Neuhold who directs that very good bargain Ring Cycle.  He is a very fine (under appreciated) conductor.

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard, Roasted Swan!

Ebor1

aligreto

Welcome aboard and I hope that you settle here  :)

Biffo

It seems several of the old faithfuls from Amazon.co.uk have signed up and kept their old names. I decided to change mine, for no particular reason.
GC.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on October 14, 2017, 02:54:40 AM
It seems several of the old faithfuls from Amazon.co.uk have signed up and kept their old names. I decided to change mine, for no particular reason.
GC.

Welcome to all of you!  :)

This forum has been up running for very long time now (I joined over a decade ago), so we don't expect this ship to sink anytime soon...  ;)

Q

Malx

Quote from: Biffo on October 14, 2017, 02:54:40 AM
GC.

Glad to see you made it GC - Biffo will take a bit of getting used to!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 12, 2017, 10:20:52 AM
Thankyou Bruce.  I'm based in the South of England.  I've been a professional musician all my working life - so my excuse for Obsessive CD Collecting Disorder is that its all tax deductible!  I've worked a lot in Musical Theatre too as an MD and player so I'm very keen on that as a genre as well.  Years ago I worked for an Italian opera house - great days working with some astounding singers.  Sitting next to Christa Ludwig singing Mahler 2 is probably the highlight although Katia Ricciarelli and Mirella Freni weren't bad either....(!)

Just noticed this thread, too. Apologies for being tardy in welcoming you, Swan !

With such a moniker you must be a Carmina Burana fan, I presume ?  ;)