Unnecessary titles for symphonies

Started by Maestro267, October 24, 2017, 12:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 24, 2017, 03:33:01 PM
Symphony of a Thousand is quite a misnomer, wouldn't you say? Better, 'the Faust' symphony, though that is really only the second half....

"Symphony No. 8 in E-flat major by Gustav Mahler is one of the largest-scale choral works in the classical concert repertoire. Because it requires huge instrumental and vocal forces it is frequently called the "Symphony of a Thousand", although the work is normally presented with far fewer than a thousand performers and the composer did not sanction that name." ~ Wikipedia

"Just the facts, ma'am." ~ Detective Sergeant Joseph "Joe" Friday, of "Dragnet.'

My personal nickname for it is "The Unendurable".

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Parsifal

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Parsifal

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 08:50:32 AM
Thanks. Never watched it.

Disney created animated sequences to illustrate various piece of music conducted by Stowkowski. I believe it is claimed as the first commercial multi-channel recording.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(1940_film)

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Scarpia on October 25, 2017, 08:42:20 AM
My personal nickname for it is "The Unendurable".

Well, the second half of it, absolutely.  At any rate, it is the only Cheese he ever produced, imo, and it is a Big Cheese at that.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Alek Hidell

Quote from: some guy on October 25, 2017, 03:46:19 AM
Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson.

Do you suppose he ever purchased that second shed, to bring him in line with his epithet?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 24, 2017, 12:14:07 AM
Listening to Penderecki's Symphony No. 2, and it got me thinking about symphonies with titles that don't really reflect the music contained therein. Penderecki 2 contains a couple of very brief and not-immediately-obvious quotations of Silent Night, so for some reason someone decided to title the whole work the "Christmas" Symphony, despite the vast majority of its 35 minute duration having nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas.

Another unnecessary title is "Polish" for Tchaikovsky's 3rd Symphony. Again, just because the finale's a Polonaise. Why?

Any other suggestions? Preferably those done by marketing people. Titles determined by the composer themselves are by default OK for those works.

Penderecki's original title for what we now know as Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima was something far more mundane and non-suggestive.  It made it to rehearsal and 1st read-through, at least.  When the composer heard it and there realized its potency of evoking deep emotion, he then re-titled it with the title it now bears.

Talk about marketing <g>.  The piece was conceived, composed, and rehearsed all the while the composer having no intent or the remotest thoughts about atomic bombs or "The Victims Of Hiroshima." 

Whatever the composer's later association when hearing it played for the first time, whether his reaction was sincere (or he had at least half an eye on a sexier and more dramatic title), he certainly assigned it a title he knew would evoke something in its audience before they'd even heard one note of the piece.

Composer titled, but well after the fact = no greater a connection between the piece and its title than, say, Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 No.6 has to do with "Suffocation." (Golly! Those latter mid to late romantics were a freakin' lugubrious lot, weren't they?)

What Pendercki composed and what he himself titled it (ergo 'official' composer-given title) in fact have no connections between the intent or content of the piece and its title. 

Anyone who does not think some similar situation exists / existed where a symphony (or other piece) made it from inception to completion with the composer having no association with what they after-the-fact titled it is, I believe both a titch naif and perhaps -- worse than a romantic -- a hopeful romantic. <g>

North Star

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 29, 2017, 01:25:11 PM
Penderecki's original title for what we now know as Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima was something far more mundane and non-suggestive.  It made it to rehearsal and 1st read-through, at least.  When the composer heard it and there realized its potency of evoking deep emotion, he then re-titled it with the title it now bears.

Talk about marketing <g>.  The piece was conceived, composed, and rehearsed all the while the composer having no intent or the remotest thoughts about atomic bombs or "The Victims Of Hiroshima." 

Whatever the composer's later association when hearing it played for the first time, whether his reaction was sincere (or he had at least half an eye on a sexier and more dramatic title), he certainly assigned it a title he knew would evoke something in its audience before they've even heard one note of the piece.

Composer titled, but well after the fact = no greater a connection between the piece and its title than, say, Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 No.6 has to do with "Suffocation." (Golly! Those latter mid to late romantics were a freakin' lugubrious lot, weren't they?)

What Pendercki composed and what he himself titled it (ergo 'official' composer-originated) in fact leave no connections between the intent or content of the piece and its title. 

Anyone who does not think some similar situation exists / existed where a symphony (or other piece) made it from inception to completion with the composer having no association with what they after-the-fact titled said piece is, I believe both a titch naif and perhaps, worse than a romantic -- a hopeful romantic. <g>
Then there's Aaron Copland's Ballet for Martha.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 29, 2017, 01:12:23 PM
Do you suppose he ever purchased that second shed, to bring him in line with his epithet?

It is rumored he owned some shares in this as a sort of hedge investment....

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: North Star on October 29, 2017, 01:32:19 PM
Then there's Aaron Copland's Ballet for Martha.

Indeed, since it was composed without a direct thought or association with either The Appalachian mountains or Spring.  The ballet's story-line, place, all thought up after the score had been commissioned and completed as -- thank you North Star -- "Ballet for Martha. lol.

I tend to think that about half of all titles, composer given, occurred at least half-way through a comp in progress, or after the fact.

"Gee, Franz, this completed tone poem, the first you've composed, seems to me to fit this poem by Alphonse de Lamartine. It is titled, Les Preludes."

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Florestan on October 25, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
Never heard about that. What is it?

Disney film, Fantasia. Le Sacre; Dinosaurs in to the death throat-ripping fights, volcanoes erupting in the background, ha haaa haaaaa.

I've forgotten which composer friend Stravinsky asked about Disney and whether he should let this be used in the film after he had been asked by Disney studios about using his music in the film.  I do remember that composer friend told him, "You may as well say yes and get paid for it, because if you don't, they will use it anyway."'

The film segment is a hodge-podge of short cut segments of the score strung together, and they are out of their original sequence as found in the score.  The original Stokowski-conducted sound track for the film is an infamously sloppy bunch of performances;  When the film was restored (digitalized, too, I imagine) the sound track was re-recorded as well, and not just because the later technology might sound better!

Mahlerian

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 29, 2017, 12:56:40 PM
Well, the second half of it, absolutely.  At any rate, it is the only Cheese he ever produced, imo, and it is a Big Cheese at that.

I disagree, of course.  The way he builds the motifs throughout the work is quite subtle, and the work as a whole very effective and beautiful if performed well (which it rarely is).
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Holden

The title 'Inextinguishable' for Nielsen's 4th symphony has always amused me. I have this vision of some horrible piece that just won't stop playing, no matter how much any one tries to end it.
Cheers

Holden

ritter

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 29, 2017, 12:56:40 PM

Quote from: Mahlerian on October 29, 2017, 06:48:48 PM
I disagree, of course.  The way he builds the motifs throughout the work is quite subtle, and the work as a whole very effective and beautiful if performed well (which it rarely is).

And to add further disagreement  ;), in my case the only thing I salvage from Mahler's Eighth is the ending of Part II (from "Blicket auf" onwards). I find Part I insufferable, with the chorus shouting their lungs out, and think that the beginning of Part II has it's longueurs...but the end, music of the spheres! :)

Mahlerian

Quote from: San Antonio on October 30, 2017, 12:45:44 PM
I learned from Mahlerian that Mahler and Prokofiev were atonal composers.  So, the key designations for all of their symphonies are unneccessary.

;)

I never said that.  In fact I do not call any composer's music atonal.  But if you can call a piece like Schoenberg's Wind Quintet atonal, there's no contradiction with having an atonal piece in E-flat major anyway.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mahlerian

Quote from: San Antonio on October 30, 2017, 12:49:47 PM
You did say that their music had been called atonal.  But let's not derail this thread.

Of course.  Debussy, Stravinsky, and Schoenberg have been called atonal too, and I don't call them atonal either.

Karl Henning

Trout Mask Replica has been called atonal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DaveF

Quote from: Holden on October 29, 2017, 06:57:35 PM
The title 'Inextinguishable' for Nielsen's 4th symphony has always amused me. I have this vision of some horrible piece that just won't stop playing, no matter how much any one tries to end it.

I believe Nielsen's own name for it was L'inestinguibile which, as it isn't in his native language, should surely be retained - just as we don't call Beethoven's 3rd the Heroic.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 30, 2017, 01:04:15 PM
Trout Mask Replica has been called atonal.

Clearly, the people who said that are ____________, because their judgments regarding such things are _____________.

A) Ignorant, Unsound

B) Wise, Impeccable

Fill in the blank however you wish, according to your own perceptions.